Cannot connect to VPN: Error 721

Sundari Karra

Hi all:

I am having trouble connecting to our VPN, this problem started
recently and I was able to connect to the VPN before. I have a LAN at
home with three other computers and all of them connect fine to the
VPN. But there is a problem only with only one computer (Win2K SP4)
wherein it hangs for about 20 sec. verifying user name and password
and comes back with error 721. I checked with our network and cable
modem provider and there is nothing wrong at either places. I also
tried dial-up using the modem and regular phone line and that doesn't
work either, which makes me think there is something specific to this
computer. Did anybody have similar problem and any solutions that
worked?

Thanks,
Sundari.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

just fixed one similar issue. One of my clients loaded Cisco VPN software on
his laptop and then he got the error 721 when using MS VPN. If you are not
sure which software, you may try to run system restore.

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Sundari Karra

Hi Robert:

Thank you for responding!

I haven't installed Ciso VPN software, I had upgraded to Win2000 SP4
recently but I am not completely sure if I started having problems
with MS VPN after that or not. Regarding System Restore feature, I
was under the impression that this feature is not available on Windows
2000. Isn't that correct? If so, how can I run System Restore, I
don't see it under Control Panel or in Services.

Thanks,
sundari.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

try to test the connection by using telnet ip 1723.

--

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
just fixed one similar issue. One of my clients loaded Cisco VPN software on
his laptop and then he got the error 721 when using MS VPN. If you are not
sure which software, you may try to run system restore.

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

David

If you are on Comcast - you will need to reboot your
modem. Fixed my issue. Directions from comcast:
What you can try is to powercycle your cable modem. Due
to the recent worm attack configuration files for the
modems had to be be reloaded.
To powercycle (Comcast Approved) 3 Com, Arris/Nortel,
Best Data, COM 21, High Speed Surfing, LAN City,
Motorola/General Instruments, Terayon and Toshiba cable
modems with a NIC:
1. Make sure the cable is secure into the modem and the
wall outlet. (A loose connection could result in lost
block synch or slow connectivity.)
2. Unplug the cable modem from the power source.
3. Unplug the RJ-45 cable from the back of the modem.
4. Turn the computer off.
5. Plug the cable modem directly into the wall outlet.
6. Wait approximately five minutes for the modem to regain block synch.
7. Plug the RJ-45 cable back into the cable modem and the NIC.
8. Turn the computer on.

To powercycle (Comcast Approved) 3 Com, Arris/Nortel,
Best Data, COM 21, High Speed Surfing, LAN City,
Motorola/General Instruments, Terayon and Toshiba cable
modems with a USB adapter:
1. Make sure the cable is secure into the modem and the
wall outlet. (A loose connection could result in lost
block synch or slow connectivity.)
2. Unplug the cable modem from the power source -- not
from the back of the modem itself.
3. Unplug the RJ-45 cable from the back of the modem and
disconnect the USB adapter from the computer.
4. Turn the computer off and back on while the RJ-45
cable and the USB adapter are disconnected from the
computer.
5. Once the computer is booted, secure the RJ-45 cable
first, then the USB adapter, and then the power cord to
the modem.
6. It should take two to five minutes to regain block synch.
7. Power down and restart your computer one more time to complete the powercycle.

To powercycle (Comcast Approved) Thompson/RCA DCM-series
and Samsung cable modems with a NIC:
1. Make sure the cable is secure into the modem and the
wall outlet. (A loose connection could result in lost
block synch or slow connectivity.)
2. Unplug the RJ-45 cable from the back of the cable modem.
3. Turn the computer off.
4. Find the RESET button on the back of the modem.
5. Using a toothpick or ballpoint pen, press and hold
down the RESET button for ten seconds and then release.
6. It should take two to five minutes to regain block synch.
7. Secure the RJ-45 cable into the cable modem and turn the computer back on.

To powercycle (Comcast Approved) Thompson/RCA DCM-series
and Samsung cable modems with a USB adapter:
1. Make sure the cable is secure into the modem and the
wall outlet. (A loose connection could result in lost
block synch or slow connectivity.)
2. Disconnect the USB adapter from the computer.
3. Power down and restart the computer.
4. Once the computer is booted, find the RESET button on the back of the modem.
5. Using a toothpick or ballpoint pen, press and hold
down the RESET button for ten seconds and then release.
6. It should take two to five minutes to regain block synch.
7. Secure the USB adapter to the computer and turn the
computer back on.