Cannot Connect to Server

Mike C

I am trying to come to grips with SQL Server 2000 Desktop
Engine. My latest problem is that I can't get anything
to connect to the server, including the Northwind
Project. When I try to open an existing project, the
project opens, but it says it is disconnected, and there
are only forms to be seen. If I try to use the upsizing
wizard, when you click next on the window where you
identify the SQL Server, I get an error window that
says "[DBNETLIBRARY][ConnectionOpen (Connect().] SQL
Server does not exist or access denied." When I
click "OK" on this dialogue box, I get another error that
says"The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in to a
SQL Server data source." If I try to open a new project,
I get the same error message. The version of SQL I have
installed is 8.00.760. It seemed to go awry after I
unistalled and reinstalled the Desktop Engine. I
installed from the downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe I did
notice it won't let me install it without setting a
strong password, where it did not need one before. I am
setting the password in the setup.ini pad.
Thoughts?

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Try testing the following:

- on your desktop create a new *.txt file
- right click on the newly created *.txt file and select rename
- change the extension *.txt to *.udl (click Yes)
- double click on the file *.udl (you'll get the Data Link Properties)
- on the Provider tab select "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server"
- then click Next
- on the connection tab enter the values needed, example
- for server name if SQL Server is local enter
(local)
- select WinNT authentication or enter User name
and password
- select the database to connect to
- hit Test Connection

If you are unable to connect successfully then you are having a problem
with your SQL Server install.

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Mike C" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Mike C" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot Connect to Server
| Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:59:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver
|
| I am trying to come to grips with SQL Server 2000 Desktop
| Engine. My latest problem is that I can't get anything
| to connect to the server, including the Northwind
| Project. When I try to open an existing project, the
| project opens, but it says it is disconnected, and there
| are only forms to be seen. If I try to use the upsizing
| wizard, when you click next on the window where you
| identify the SQL Server, I get an error window that
| says "[DBNETLIBRARY][ConnectionOpen (Connect().] SQL
| Server does not exist or access denied." When I
| click "OK" on this dialogue box, I get another error that
| says"The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
| Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in to a
| SQL Server data source." If I try to open a new project,
| I get the same error message. The version of SQL I have
| installed is 8.00.760. It seemed to go awry after I
| unistalled and reinstalled the Desktop Engine. I
| installed from the downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe I did
| notice it won't let me install it without setting a
| strong password, where it did not need one before. I am
| setting the password in the setup.ini pad.
| Thoughts?

Subir Kumar

Hi Eric,

I am having problems in the same direction and would like
some guidance from you.I have tested the set of
instructions that you send to mike and they seem to work
fine for me. I am using SQL Server Version 5 SP3 and
Access 2000. The problems I am having are

1. If I try to use upsize wizard and click on create a new
database, I am getting two errors
a. This Operation cannot be done by connecting asynch.
[Also my SQL server name does not appear in the list of
SQL Servers].
b. The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher).

2. If I create a database in my SQL Server and then try
and upsize using the "existing database" option, I am able
to successfully migrate [Creating a new Machin data
Source, also the server name shows in the drop down list
of servers this time].But the problem is that when I close
the ADP created and then reopen it,it doesnt show any link
tables etc,shows only the forms and reports and in the
taskbar it shows error [databasename:disconnected]

if possible please guide me in this matter. Thanks in
advance.

Regards,

Subir Kumar

Regards,

Subir
- on your desktop create a new *.txt file
- right click on the newly created *.txt file and select rename
- change the extension *.txt to *.udl (click Yes)
- double click on the file *.udl (you'll get the Data Link Properties)
- on the Provider tab select "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server"
- then click Next
- on the connection tab enter the values needed, example
- for server name if SQL Server is local enter
(local)
- select WinNT authentication or enter User name
and password
- select the database to connect to
- hit Test Connection

If you are unable to connect successfully then you are having a problem
with your SQL Server install.

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03 -026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Mike C" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Mike C" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot Connect to Server
| Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:59:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver
|
| I am trying to come to grips with SQL Server 2000 Desktop
| Engine. My latest problem is that I can't get anything
| to connect to the server, including the Northwind
| Project. When I try to open an existing project, the
| project opens, but it says it is disconnected, and there
| are only forms to be seen. If I try to use the upsizing
| wizard, when you click next on the window where you
| identify the SQL Server, I get an error window that
| says "[DBNETLIBRARY][ConnectionOpen (Connect().] SQL
| Server does not exist or access denied." When I
| click "OK" on this dialogue box, I get another error that
| says"The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
| Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in to a
| SQL Server data source." If I try to open a new project,
| I get the same error message. The version of SQL I have
| installed is 8.00.760. It seemed to go awry after I
| unistalled and reinstalled the Desktop Engine. I
| installed from the downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe I did
| notice it won't let me install it without setting a
| strong password, where it did not need one before. I am
| setting the password in the setup.ini pad.
| Thoughts?

.

J. Clay

I don't believe that and .ADP will work with SQL Server Version 5. As the
error states, you need version 6.5 SP5 or greater.

If you cannot update your SQL Version then you are going to have to stick
w/an MDB and ODBC.

J. Clay

Subir Kumar said:
> [...]

| are only forms to be seen. If I try to use the upsizing
| wizard, when you click next on the window where you
| identify the SQL Server, I get an error window that
| says "[DBNETLIBRARY][ConnectionOpen (Connect().] SQL
| Server does not exist or access denied." When I
| click "OK" on this dialogue box, I get another error that
| says"The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
| Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in to a
| SQL Server data source." If I try to open a new project,
| I get the same error message. The version of SQL I have
| installed is 8.00.760. It seemed to go awry after I
| unistalled and reinstalled the Desktop Engine. I
| installed from the downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe I did
| notice it won't let me install it without setting a
| strong password, where it did not need one before. I am
| setting the password in the setup.ini pad.

.

Subir Kumar

Hey,

I just checked my version for SQL Server is 8.0 and not
5.0 [That was the WIN 2K Server version].
It still shows the error that no migration can be done
asynch. when I try to create a new database. If possible
please advice me.

Subir

Subir Kumar said:
[...]

and
confers no rights
| Subject: Cannot Connect to Server
| Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:59:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver
|
| I am trying to come to grips with SQL Server 2000 Desktop
| Engine. My latest problem is that I can't get anything
| to connect to the server, including the Northwind
| Project. When I try to open an existing project, the
| project opens, but it says it is disconnected, and there
| are only forms to be seen. If I try to use the upsizing
| wizard, when you click next on the window where you
| identify the SQL Server, I get an error window that
| says "[DBNETLIBRARY][ConnectionOpen (Connect().] SQL
| Server does not exist or access denied." When I
| click "OK" on this dialogue box, I get another error that
| says"The upsizing wizard only works with Microsoft SQL
| Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in
| SQL Server data source." If I try to open a new project,
| I get the same error message. The version of SQL I have
| installed is 8.00.760. It seemed to go awry after I
| unistalled and reinstalled the Desktop Engine. I
| installed from the downloaded sql2kdesksp3.exe I did
| notice it won't let me install it without setting a
| strong password, where it did not need one before. I am
| setting the password in the setup.ini pad.
| Thoughts?

.

.