Cannot Connect to Internet via Router, Cable Modem or my LAN with a new computer

Karel357

Hi There.

PICTURE:
Two computer connect to the internet through a belkin router ,Cabl
modem, Both with Win Me
----No problem at this point.My internet connection and sharing ar
both fine.

New hard disk on one computer installing Win Me.
----No problem at this point.My internet connection and sharing ar
both fine.

Win 2000 Pro on new hard disk.

START PROBLEMS:

No internet connection and sharing on Win2K computer, Win Me still fin
with internet connection .

I try to release the IP. I get the following message: All adapter boun
to DHCP do not have DHCP address. the ADDRESSES were automaticall
configured and can not be released.
Thus the DHCP Server is Unavailble from this computer. I get onl
Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) like 169.254.233.111

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : modular
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Famil
Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-1C-0A-9E-D9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.233.111
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Try setting the TCP/IP properties. I use a fixed IP address and a
default gateway. If I Browse the network the computer find themself
without problem and the router indication light for 2K computer works.
I think No NIC problem).

I already unistall and reinstall NIC
I already unistall and reinstall Network protocols etc .........

Need help. Please reply.....;Thanks

-
Karel35

Steven L Umbach

You can try disabling APIA as described in the link below and then configure static
info to see if it helps.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_apipa_in_windows_2000_xp_2003.htm

However the problem seems to be that your W2K computer can not get an address from
the router. Possibly there is a network connection problem or maybe the DHCP has run
out of leases on the router which you will want to check. Also try a different
network cable and plugging it into a different port on the router and try configuring
the nic card to use 100 speed instead of auto in its properties. The link below may
be helpful on how to use ping and tracert to troubleshoot networking issues starting
out by pinging local host and assigned IP address. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300986

Karel357

Problem seems to be located at a lower level, because I can not eve
connect the Win2K computer directly to the cable modem (no LAN).
reinstalled the old hardisk with Win Me thus I'm now sure it is not
hardware problem. I will do a little more research install the lates
service packs and I will be back! Thank

-
Karel35

Sergio Moreno

Hi there,

this is probably a corrupted stack issue and you may want to remove all the networking components including the NIC adapter, reboot the PC and have
Windows redetect the hardware. Make sure that you have the appropiate NIC drivers before you remove it.
If this still does not work, then try removing TCPIP protocol again and check the following link for registry keys that you may need to remove before
reinstalling TCP/IP again.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows200.../techinfo/reskit/en-us/cnet/cnbd_trb_nsdp.asp

Also, take a look at the following KB for information on how to resolve issues with unknown devices in Device manager in case there is a hardware conflict

How to Troubleshoot Unknown Devices That Are Listed in Device Manager WGID:324
ID: 244601
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=244601

--------------------
From: Karel357 <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Cannot Connect to Internet via Router, Cable Modem or my LAN with a new computer
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:59:52 -0500

View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message209002.htm

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Karel357

Still not working, I have tried everything, but no chance. Now my powe
supply is defect (It must be a curse). Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a new on
and reinstall Win 2k from a formated disk. That is my last chanc
before I commit suicide or just KILL BILL

-
Karel35