Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003

Joe Grover

I have a website on a Windows 2000 SP4 with FP2000 server extensions. I can
connect to/publish to this site with no problem with FrontPage 2000 or
FrontPage 2002 (I was using FP2000 myself).

I recently upgraded to FrontPage 2003, and now when I try to open my web I
get an error indicating that the site is not available or is protected with
a password. If I uninstall and go back to FP2000 I can open the web fine.

Any ideas?

Joe

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Try this under start->run after installing FP2003,
frontpg http://yoursitename.com

If this opens the main page of the site, then its mostly that the Web
Folders are not installed properly on the system. To reinstall this you
could try a basic fix of running webfldrs.msi and doing a reinstall, if
that fails then go through each step in the Article - KB287402

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Joe Grover" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003
| Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:49:01 -0500
|
| I have a website on a Windows 2000 SP4 with FP2000 server extensions. I
can
| connect to/publish to this site with no problem with FrontPage 2000 or
| FrontPage 2002 (I was using FP2000 myself).
|
| I recently upgraded to FrontPage 2003, and now when I try to open my web I
| get an error indicating that the site is not available or is protected
with
| a password. If I uninstall and go back to FP2000 I can open the web fine.
|
| Any ideas?
|

| Joe

Joe Grover

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm not having any problems with web
folders (I can create a web folder to http://mydomain.com on my machine
fine). However trying to connect to that web in FrontPage 2003 I still get
the error, and when running the frontpg http://mydomain.com command I get
this:

Could not find a Web server at 'www.mydomain.com'. Please check to make
sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set
correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the Web server may
be temporarily out of service.

I'm not behind a firewall or anything, and if I uninstall FP2003 and go back
to FP2000 (or connect using FP2000/FP2002 from another machine) I can
connect to the web server fine. I've duplicated this on another machine as
well.

Does FP2003 require FP2002 server extensions or something in order to
connect?

Joe

Stefan B Rusynko

Yes FP2003 (like all prior versions) requires a host running the FP SE to connect
- FP 2003 supports at least the FP 2000 or FP 2002 SE

--

| Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm not having any problems with web
| folders (I can create a web folder to http://mydomain.com on my machine
| fine). However trying to connect to that web in FrontPage 2003 I still get
| the error, and when running the frontpg http://mydomain.com command I get
| this:
|
| Could not find a Web server at 'www.mydomain.com'. Please check to make
| sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set
| correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the Web server may
| be temporarily out of service.
|
| I'm not behind a firewall or anything, and if I uninstall FP2003 and go back
| to FP2000 (or connect using FP2000/FP2002 from another machine) I can
| connect to the web server fine. I've duplicated this on another machine as
| well.
|
| Does FP2003 require FP2002 server extensions or something in order to
| connect?
|

| Joe
|

| | > Hi Joe,
| >
| > Try this under start->run after installing FP2003,
| > frontpg http://yoursitename.com
| >
| > If this opens the main page of the site, then its mostly that the Web
| > Folders are not installed properly on the system. To reinstall this you
| > could try a basic fix of running webfldrs.msi and doing a reinstall, if
| > that fails then go through each step in the Article - KB287402
| >

| > Regards,
| > Vijay
| >
| > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
| confers
| > no rights
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Joe Grover" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003
| > | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:49:01 -0500
| > |
| > | I have a website on a Windows 2000 SP4 with FP2000 server extensions. I
| > can
| > | connect to/publish to this site with no problem with FrontPage 2000 or
| > | FrontPage 2002 (I was using FP2000 myself).
| > |
| > | I recently upgraded to FrontPage 2003, and now when I try to open my web
| > | get an error indicating that the site is not available or is protected
| > with
| > | a password. If I uninstall and go back to FP2000 I can open the web
| fine.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |
| > | Joe
| > |
| > |
| > |

Joe Grover

Scratch that, I was typing .com instead of .org. on the frontpg command.

Your webfolders re-installation took care of it on my machine. :)

However I do have one other problem: On another computer I get an entirely
different error. When opening the FrontPage 2003 I get the error that it's
unable to load STSNWI.DLL.

I don't even have that on my machine that's working fine, and can find no
reference to it on yahoo/google. I uninstalled/reinstalled FP2003 but still
get that error. Do you know what that file is for/where it can be found?

And thanks again for your help!

Joe

Stefan B Rusynko

That file has been removed from FP with the introduction of SharePoint
- but if you have broken web folders and WinInet is broken FP will still call it
You need to try the web folder repairs - see

| Scratch that, I was typing .com instead of .org. on the frontpg command.
|
| Your webfolders re-installation took care of it on my machine. :)
|
| However I do have one other problem: On another computer I get an entirely
| different error. When opening the FrontPage 2003 I get the error that it's
| unable to load STSNWI.DLL.
|
| I don't even have that on my machine that's working fine, and can find no
| reference to it on yahoo/google. I uninstalled/reinstalled FP2003 but still
| get that error. Do you know what that file is for/where it can be found?
|
| And thanks again for your help!
|

| Joe
|

| | > Hi Joe,
| >
| > Try this under start->run after installing FP2003,
| > frontpg http://yoursitename.com
| >
| > If this opens the main page of the site, then its mostly that the Web
| > Folders are not installed properly on the system. To reinstall this you
| > could try a basic fix of running webfldrs.msi and doing a reinstall, if
| > that fails then go through each step in the Article - KB287402
| >

| > Regards,
| > Vijay
| >
| > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
| confers
| > no rights
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Joe Grover" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003
| > | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:49:01 -0500
| > |
| > | I have a website on a Windows 2000 SP4 with FP2000 server extensions. I
| > can
| > | connect to/publish to this site with no problem with FrontPage 2000 or
| > | FrontPage 2002 (I was using FP2000 myself).
| > |
| > | I recently upgraded to FrontPage 2003, and now when I try to open my web
| > | get an error indicating that the site is not available or is protected
| > with
| > | a password. If I uninstall and go back to FP2000 I can open the web
| fine.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |
| > | Joe
| > |
| > |
| > |

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi,

Under of the following registry key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server
Extensions\Web Extender Client
Remove the "wecctlflags" value

its no longer supported

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Joe Grover" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003
| Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:05:48 -0500
|
| Scratch that, I was typing .com instead of .org. on the frontpg command.
|
| Your webfolders re-installation took care of it on my machine. :)
|
| However I do have one other problem: On another computer I get an
entirely
| different error. When opening the FrontPage 2003 I get the error that
it's
| unable to load STSNWI.DLL.
|
| I don't even have that on my machine that's working fine, and can find no
| reference to it on yahoo/google. I uninstalled/reinstalled FP2003 but
still
| get that error. Do you know what that file is for/where it can be found?
|
| And thanks again for your help!
|

| Joe
|

| | > Hi Joe,
| >
| > Try this under start->run after installing FP2003,
| > frontpg http://yoursitename.com
| >
| > If this opens the main page of the site, then its mostly that the Web
| > Folders are not installed properly on the system. To reinstall this you
| > could try a basic fix of running webfldrs.msi and doing a reinstall, if
| > that fails then go through each step in the Article - KB287402
| >

| > Regards,
| > Vijay
| >
| > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
| confers
| > no rights
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Joe Grover" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Cannot access site after upgrading to FP2003
| > | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:49:01 -0500
| > |
| > | I have a website on a Windows 2000 SP4 with FP2000 server extensions.
| > can
| > | connect to/publish to this site with no problem with FrontPage 2000 or
| > | FrontPage 2002 (I was using FP2000 myself).
| > |
| > | I recently upgraded to FrontPage 2003, and now when I try to open my
web
| > | get an error indicating that the site is not available or is protected
| > with
| > | a password. If I uninstall and go back to FP2000 I can open the web
| fine.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |