cannot access drive using domain user account over PPTP

S

Scott

cannot access drive using domain user account over PPTP

Hi,

Im using PPTP from a windows 2000 pro machine to connect to a remote network. When logging in as a remote users the PPTP traffic hits my router its forwarded to a DC which answers, authenticates and my machine is logged onto the network.

From the windows 2000 pro machine I use a command prompt and entered:

"net use z: \\server\share"

I get the message:

"The password or username is invalid for \\server\share"

If I enter the administrator password I can connect.

NOTE:
- The server \\server also hosts TERMINAL SERVICES. If the user logs onto the terminal server, with the same user name used before, they can access the share.

- The share allows the remote users full access (defined in PERMISSIONS and SECURITY).

- I can map the drive no problem over PPTP if I punch in the admin password.

Any idea what else I need to put in place to allow a remote user to map a share over PPTP ?

Can this be run from a login script as soon as PPTP connection established ?

Thanks
Scott

S

Scott

Hi,

One addition point. By entering:

net use z: \\server\share /user:domain\user

I am prompted for a password. By using the user password it works.

So I guess that my query is now, how can I get this command to execute for each user ? (login scripts per user ? as this allow me to specify an individual user name for each ?)

How can I get the password to be entered ?

Is there a better way to do this entirely ?

Thanks
Scott

R

Robert L [MS-MVP]

net use command should create cached credentials so that you don't need to do it again. However, if that doesn't work, try this "net use z: \\server\share /user:username" (without domainname). please post back with the result.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Hi,

One addition point. By entering:

net use z: \\server\share /user:domain\user

I am prompted for a password. By using the user password it works.

So I guess that my query is now, how can I get this command to execute for each user ? (login scripts per user ? as this allow me to specify an individual user name for each ?)

How can I get the password to be entered ?

Is there a better way to do this entirely ?

Thanks
Scott

Ask a Question