Cannot access a web page

Vicky

I hope someone can help with this problem. I can acess any web page with IE6
but when I try to acess www.skype.com it tells web page cannot be displayed,
MSN search tells me "We cannot find www.skype.com" I have been to the web
site many time in the past 2 months and have downloaded their software which
I use to stay in touch with my family so I cannot understand why I cannot
access this website. I ask a friend to access the website and he had no
trouble.
I hope some can answer my problem.

Thankyou in advance for any help

Vicky

Don Varnau

Hi,
First the easy stuff:
Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files
and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.

Clear the History... Internet Options> General

Browse to the Cookies folder and delete any cookies from skype.

Delete the TIF and History folders.
How To Delete the Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Do a complete shutdown- computer(s) router, modem. Leave everything off for
4 or 5 minutes.

See if skype is in your HOSTS file. Make sure that hidden and system files
are visible (Folder options> View) and search for a HOSTS file.

Now... many other possibilities at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns
and http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Hope this helps,
Don

Vicky

Hi Don
Thanks for replying.I have tried everything in your reply but no luck. I
still cannot access the skype website. In the HOSTS file skype does not
show. Any further ideas?
Thanks
Vicky

Robert Aldwinckle

Vicky said:
Hi Don
Thanks for replying.I have tried everything in your reply but no luck. I
still cannot access the skype website. In the HOSTS file skype does not
show. Any further ideas?

That site requires Shockwave Flash.
Try changing all your promptable security settings to Prompt
then retry and answer No to each prompt. Assuming you initially had
default security settings you can restore them after testing by clicking
on the Default Level button (greys the Default Level button indicating
no customization is in effect.)

If you need more help tell us which prompts you got and
what your observations were.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Vicky

Hi

I tried logging on as a different user no luck. I then changed the
promptable security settings and the only one that popped up was scripts,
Still unable to access skype, reset them to default level, no luck Last
night I tried pinging the website resault "request timed out, sent 4
received 0 lost 4 (100% loss)" Does that tell you anything?
Regards
Vicky

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Vicky said:
Hi

I tried logging on as a different user no luck. I then changed the
promptable security settings and the only one that popped up was scripts,
Still unable to access skype, reset them to default level, no luck Last
night I tried pinging the website resault "request timed out, sent 4
received 0 lost 4 (100% loss)" Does that tell you anything?

Yes. I think it is telling us that you do not have a DNS or HOSTS
problem which was one possible explanation for your first description.
The only useful thing these days which ping does for us in many cases
is show us the IP address of the destination site to know that your DNS
is doing the lookup properly. Users with NTx could get better information
by using their nslookup command. FWIW here is the result of mine:

<example>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.skype.com
Address: 80.160.91.13
</example>

Do you have any other software which would be inhibiting ActiveX
applications by actually changing the HTML? Here's what I see:
1. Prompt: Scripting is usually safe... on a blank screen
2. Top part of Skype Home page containing common menu code.
3. Prompt: Do you want to allow...ActiveX controls...

It looks to me that the only things you would lose by replying No
to both prompts is a rollover effect in the menu and display of a
Flash demo.

However, let's try a different page on the same site which doesn't use
the Flash feature.

< http://www.skype.com/help.html >

Again, you will see a prompt for Scripting which you can allow or deny
before you actually see anything render. As far as I can see it is the
same menu and rollovers which would be the only thing affected by
denying the prompt.

Also if you want to get your Flash support working
see what happens if you go here:

< http://www.macromedia.com/help/en_us/flash_app_requirements.html >

HTH

Robert
---

Regards
Vicky

Vicky

Have downloaded Macromedia Flash, no luck I have MSN messenger installed and
Skype of course, as for ActiveX I am unable to find any files of that name
on my computer, Should I download that, if so from where?
Im most appreciative of all the time and help you have all given to this
problem of mine
Thank you

Vicky

Don Varnau

Hi,
Just to toss out a few more possibilities:
Try putting skype.come in Trusted Sites... Internet Options> Security.

Can you connect with this? http://80.160.91.13

In Internet Options> Advanced, uncheck "Enable third party browser
extensions."

In a Command window (start> run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

Don

Robert Aldwinckle

Vicky said:
Have downloaded Macromedia Flash, no luck I have MSN messenger installed and
Skype of course, as for ActiveX I am unable to find any files of that name
on my computer, Should I download that, if so from where?

Vicky,

Please answer my questions and give more detailed descriptions of what
you are doing and what you are seeing. The picture that you are giving us
of your circumstances is incomplete and so far inconsistent.

If you went to the Macromedia Flash site you would have seen ActiveX
programming. If you had it disabled or if it was not working that site has
contingency pages in place which indicate to you clearly their requirements.
So, although you haven't explicitly said so (which would have been helpful)
I will assume that your Macromedia Flash support is now working and is at
the highest available level. Since that is the same level that I am at and since
I can use your problem page with that level we have now eliminated the possibility
that the site depends on a particular level of support.

Let's try again opening http://www.skype.com with all those Prompts active
(i.e. as instructed in my first reply).

Please indicate *any* differences that you see in the following.

I see:
A blank page titled: Skype
A status bar message: Opening page http://www.skype.com/
A prompt: Scripts are usually safe. Do you want to allow scripts to run?

As I have previously explained I think that for this site it is relatively
insignificant to allow scripts to run. Therefore I suggest we test the
all No. case. So click on No.

Now I see:
- Title and Status bars unchanged
- Top of page: Skype logo, product info on a dull yellow background
- Middle of page: row of links on a dark red bubbly background
- Bottom of page: blank, dull yellow background
- A Prompt: Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and
plugins to run?

Again, for this test we don't care to see the ActiveX component. Click No.

Now the rest of the page fills in at the bottom and the links all appear
to be usable. For example, you can click on Help and go to that other
page whose link I provided you with but which you didn't indicate whether
you used. ;o

These were your previous results
but you didn't give any more explanation of what you did or what you saw.
Notice that from that poor description alone we can't even really assume
that you even did anything with the prompt, which of course would explain
why you would be seeing only a blank page at that point.

Further I asked whether you thought you might have any software which
might be changing the HTML of that page (which would be one possible
explanation for why you might be seeing a blank page still after replying
to that prompt.) If you don't know tell us what you are running so that
someone who does know can tell. I believe that Norton Internet Security
is one product which would interfere this way but I don't know anything
more about it. (Well, I know it uses the less pejorative term "blocking"
for its interference. <g>)

I do have two more suggestions if you still see a blank page after replying
to the first prompt. Press Ctrl-F5 and reply to the prompt again.
(I'm assuming you are only seeing one prompt as per your first description.)
Then assuming you see Done in the Status bar use View, Source
(e.g. press Alt-V,c) to see what you should be seeing. In the Notepad
window which will open use its Find tool to count the number of instances
of src= in the source. (E.g. press F3, enter src= in the Find input box
press Enter and keep pressing Enter until the Find fails. Increase your
count each time you are able to press Enter successfully.) FWIW my
count when I do that is 22.

Details Vicky, please! Remember, your words have to substitute for
what our eyes might need to notice to understand your problem.

Good luck

Robert
---

Vicky

Hi Robert

I have checked all promptable settings in all zones of security and tried to
access skype again, the only prompt I got was scripts to which I answered No
and it went straight to the MSN search page which said "We cannot find
www.skype.com" and gave a few surggestions none of which were related to
skype. I no longer get " Page cannot be displayed" and I do not get a
partial page or blank page. I have tried other links relating to skype but I
just get the MSN search page with the same message.
As for software I have MSN messenger and Callserve, a Pc to landline phone
software. My virus software is AVG.
src= I only found 5 instances.
Further info, my connection is Lan, ie it works by radio masts in and around
the area I live, which is Malaga Spain, I do not have a land line telephone.
I hope I have given you enough info, some of your questions were a bit too
technical but I have answered them as best as I can, not bad for a 60
year old.

Thanks
Vicky

Robert Aldwinckle

Vicky said:
Hi Robert

I have checked all promptable settings in all zones of security and tried to
access skype again, the only prompt I got was scripts to which I answered No
and it went straight to the MSN search page which said "We cannot find
www.skype.com" and gave a few surggestions none of which were related to
skype. I no longer get " Page cannot be displayed" and I do not get a
partial page or blank page. I have tried other links relating to skype but I
just get the MSN search page with the same message.

Oh. That means we have to step back quite a bit.
Now we have no proof after all that your DNS or HOSTS is working.
Before when you got a prompt for scripting I assumed that
you were entering a complete URL in the Address bar.
I didn't consider the possibility that you weren't entering the protocol
prefix with it. Without the protocol prefix the "URL" becomes just data
to be passed to your AutoSearch if a DNS lookup for it fails.
That, I suspect is what you are seeing. Unfortunately, the diagnostics
in IE and in Windows generally are very weak; otherwise you would have
known that the prompt you were getting was for the MSN site instead
of for the site you were hoping to reach.

Rather than mess around trying to diagnose why this is happening
I suggest you modify your HOSTS file to override whatever lookup
your are getting. I don't know your OS and although you mentioned
that ping timed out I'm not sure if that means the lookup timed out
or the ping itself timed out. If the ping had included the IP address
it would mean that the lookup worked, though it might be too slow for
IE's liking anyway. That's another reason for overriding the lookup.

Here's how to do that using the output from my nslookup that I gave
you previously. Insert the following line into your HOSTS file.

80.160.91.13 www.skype.com

I think you should try to avoid inserting blank lines with it but I don't know
for sure if that would cause a problem with it. However, it should be safe
to insert comment lines if you wish. Comment lines are lines which
have the # charcter in column 1.

Since I don't know your OS I suggest you reboot after making this
change. After the reboot test your change by opening a command
window and entering:

ping -n 1 www.skype.com

Rather than worrying about whether it times out what is important
is whether the command displays the IP address with it.

If your OS is NTx you could do a better test with telnet.
In fact with some OS you may be able to do a similar test
using a tool such as HyperTerminal. Hopefully these won't be needed
if your HOSTS override works for you.

If the HOSTS override works it indicates that there is a problem which
your ISP should be made aware of. E.g. they should find out whether
their DNS is not caching records for that domain or whether there is
simply a performance problem with their DNS lookup service.

Good luck

Robert
---

Vicky

I have done as you surggested and here is the resault after inserting
80.160.91.13 www.skype.com in host file and pinging -n 1 www.skype.com
"Pinging www.skype .com (80.190.91.13) with 32 bytes of data. Request timed
out. Ping statistics for 80.160.91.13. Packets sent =1 received=0
lost=1(100% loss)" I didn't insert any blank lines or comments as I was
unsure what you meant. Still no luck accessing skype. By the way my
operating system is Wndows XP Pro
Thanks
Vicky

Robert Aldwinckle

Vicky said:
I have done as you suggested and here is the result after inserting
80.160.91.13 www.skype.com in host file and pinging -n 1 www.skype.com
"Pinging www.skype .com (80.190.91.13) with 32 bytes of data. Request timed
out. Ping statistics for 80.160.91.13. Packets sent =1 received=0
lost=1(100% loss)" I didn't insert any blank lines or comments as I was
unsure what you meant. Still no luck accessing skype. By the way my
operating system is Wndows XP Pro

Great. Then you can use telnet to test with.
You can also use nslookup to check on your DNS.
I should warn you though that things are not looking good.

First let's find out what your DNS is really telling you. Enter:

nslookup www.skype.com

Does the lookup give you the same IP address that your HOSTS file
is now using? Did it seem to pause when it was doing that?

Next, you could find out where that ping is failing. It's not necessarily bad
but it might give some clues that there are some general problems with
the routing. To do that use tracert or pathping. (The latter is an XP
only command, probably not available in the Home version.)

But more significantly we can use telnet to find out if we can access
that site's port 80, testing more closely the access that IE requires.

Hmm... there's a surprise here.

First of all simply entering

telnet www.skype.com 80

can prove if you can reach that site and if there is a server there
which is "listening" on port 80. The sign that both of those things
are true is that the screen will clear and the cursor will move to
the top left corner ready to accept your typing.

Normally when I want to find out what is being sent from that port
I just type:
GET /
(That's GET<space><slash><Enter>. By default you won't be
able to see your typing.)

However, in this case that turns out to contain:

<example>
<h2>Welcome to Joltid</h2>
</example>

and

<quote>
Joltid consists of the original management and development team
behind KaZaA and the FastTrack peer-to-peer network.
</quote>

More importantly that page contains absolutely no reference to Skype
nor any sign that it might do a redirect to it.

So if you can get that far we will have to do something more
to simulate better what IE would actually send. I won't bother
complicating things now to give examples of what else you
could type because I doubt that you are going to be able to get
even as far as that Joltid page.

BTW in order to capture whatever it is that you get from
the GET request you can modify the telnet command
to be:

telnet -f telnet.txt www.skype.com 80

where telnet.txt is just an arbitrary filename (and presumably
not one which already exists or which contains data that you
wanted to keep.)

Good luck

Robert
---

Thanks
Vicky

Vicky

Hi Robert

Resaults of nslookup
Non-Authoritive answer Name www.skype.com Address 80.160.91.13. (No it
didn't seem to pause)

Resaults of telnet
Could not open connection to the host on port 80 connect failed.
I did a pathping but to data that was displayed was just to much to write
down.
I didn't understand the rest of your reply about GET.

Thanks
Vicky

Vicky

Further to ny previous reply. I have had the following mesage from my
Internet supplier.
"we have tried the site from 3 diffrent adsl suppliers and only the tiscali
adsl can't get the skype page so we can only deduce that it is being blocked
by tiscali we could do the same to any web page we didnt want our users to
see,"
Vicky

Robert Aldwinckle

Vicky said:
Further to ny previous reply. I have had the following mesage from my
Internet supplier.
"we have tried the site from 3 diffrent adsl suppliers and only the tiscali
adsl can't get the skype page so we can only deduce that it is being blocked
by tiscali we could do the same to any web page we didnt want our users to
see,"

I was afraid it was starting to look like something like that.
That's too bad. I don't know what you can do about it except try to E-mail
the people responsible and request a change of policy.

You might try an anonymous proxy I suppose but I really don't know
much about them.

Good luck

Robert
---

Vicky

Hi Robert
Sorry for not replying sooner but I lost my connection over the weekend.
Just to say thank you for all you help and time you have given to my
problem. If I ever get to the skype web site I will let you know.
Thanks again
Vicky