Excel Can you get 2 excel workbooks to talk to each other simultaneously?

Reaction score
Excel 2003 SP2

I have 1 master workbook with all my info recorded.

I need colleagues to be able to see and input figures into the first 10 columns of worksheet 1 but nothing else.

When changes are made to either workbook I need them to update the other one.

Its not suitable to use passwords/hide columns due to their computer knowledge. I just want them to be able to input values into the first 10 columns and then it updates on the master workbook (and vice-versa).

Please help as its making my brain ache!

Or at least point me in the direction of HELP!!!

Sam.

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi Sam

Welcome to PC Review :thumb:

As for your worksheets, can you just clarify something for me please.

Do you require the ability to have simultaneous input or are you just looking to have different people accessing different spreadsheets at different times?

You may be able to do it with different sheets, but if you are looking for simultaneous "sharing" ability then it could be a little more challenging :D

Cheers, CI

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
SamMJLo said:
Unfortunately yes I am looking for simultaneously data input.

Sam.
OK, let me have a think about this and see if I can come up with an answer. :confused:

If any other members have any bright ideas then feel free to step in :thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi Sam

I'm not sure I have got any bright solutions for your problem.

If I am on the right track, you are looking for some kind up "append" ability, so that data input on the "remote" sheet can be added to the "master" sheet.

I have never seen this done with Excel, however, I have seen something similar run thru' Access but that is a whole different kettle of fish. It involves developing tables and queries to operate the functionality, which may be beyond your requirements.

I will keep looking around, and if I find anything useful I will drop you another post. If you get a solution anywhere else, please let us know as it may help us in future enquiries.

Cheers, CI

Reaction score
Thanks CITech,

Since posting yesterday I've kind of changed the idea of working with 2 workbooks and just work with 1.
My idea is to write a macro that will auto hide a set section of the workbook everytime it is saved and closed. Then when a user needs to see the hidden section they will need a password to open it.

I reckon this will solve my problem.

I'll let you know if it works or not ;)

Reaction score
A simple piece of code was all that was required. I know that its basic and hackable but there's not anyone in the office with the knowledge to do that....I think.......i hope :lol:

Here's the code below if your interested.....

Public PW As String
Sub xPassword()

Dim x

PW = "Donkey Balls"

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=PW

x = InputBox("Enter password:", "Password Required") If x = "" Then End If x <> PW Then

MsgBox "Incorrect Password"

End

End If

Worksheets("Job Cost Tracker").Range("R:AE").EntireColumn.Hidden = False

End Sub

Thanks CITech ;)

Ask a Question