Can XPE boot from USB hard drive ?

Damien

Hi,

According to the post "Can XPE boot from USB hard drive ?"
2003-10-02 05:08:11 PST by Slobodan

1 - Is there a solution to to boot from a usb stick (and load the USB
key as Mass Storage) ?
2 - Is there a documentation to load a sdi file from a usb key into
RAM

Thanks for your help

Bob
(e-mail address removed)

Message 4 in thread
From: Slobodan Brcin ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Can XPE boot from USB hard drive?

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-10-02 05:08:11 PST

Leonid,
I have the same problem to boot off XPE from USB hard disk and USB
CDROM.
I'm really need this option to run XPE from USB CDROM.
I've posted several messages about this issue, but didn't get clear
explanation of this problem.

My current knowledge of this problem:
1. Most Bios-es can read any USB device and boot from it.
2. Bios exposes int 13h which boot loader can use for reading rest of
data.
3. Boot Loader loads ntldr. using int 13h.
4. ntldr. loads boot.ini
Until this point non of XP parts are loaded and everything loaded try
int
13.
So if you place some hold time in multi choice boot.ini, and you are
able to
boot to point where ntldr will give you the choice to select os. Then
you
can boot from that type of medium.

After this point XPE will start to load and at some point it will try
to use
drivers to complete loading.
USB drivers are marked not to be loaded by ntldr., and when transition
occurs XPE will BSOD because it doesn't have drivers for USB, and
can't load
them either.
This is like cutting branch that you are sitting on.

There is work around but it is too complicated and it wont work
everywhere,
or in every case. So this is not acceptable.

Now you have two choices, well more likely one.
1. Work around I have posted few weeks ago (but like I said it is
practically useless)
2. Make Ramdisk.

You can make SDI file that will contain XPE partition. This file can
be
loaded by ntldr. using int 13h in RAM. And then ntldr. will boot from
it.
So there are no more problem regarding is this Flash, CD, USB, or
Firewire,
or even network.

To do ram boot boot.ini should have:
ramdisk(0)\windows="XPE RAM" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\image.sdi
/rdimageoffset=245760

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Damien,

1. For general solution on booting from M-Systems USB DOK devices you can
contact M-Systems.
2. You can use boot from RAM boot with SDI file like you would from HDD or
network.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=rdimageoffset&
btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dmicrosoft.public.windowsxp.embedded.*

Regards,
Slobodan

Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups