Can we change line spacing in Excel? (Not row height.)

StargateFanFromWork

If the text is too widely spaced apart between sentences in a cell, is there
a way we can scrunch them closer together similar to what we can do in a
word-processing program when we change line height? Tx. :blush:D

Bucky

StargateFanFromWork said:
If the text is too widely spaced apart between sentences in a cell, is there
a way we can scrunch them closer together similar to what we can do in a
word-processing program when we change line height? Tx. :blush:D

I think you mean character (horizontal) spacing, not line (vertical)
spacing. I don't think you can do that with Excel. But you can choose
Arial Narrow font, which has the same height but narrowing. Or you can
just choose a smaller font size too.

StargateFanFromWork

Bucky said:
I think you mean character (horizontal) spacing, not line (vertical)
spacing. I don't think you can do that with Excel. But you can choose
Arial Narrow font, which has the same height but narrowing. Or you can
just choose a smaller font size too.

Darn. Been there- done that. I'm down to the smallest font I can go
without getting out a loupe! <g> Yet if the lines were closer together
(and, yes, it is called line spacing in a word-processing program <g>)
everything would fit. There's a lot of blank space between the lines that
is being wasted that if we could eliminate would allow everything to fit.
Ah well.

So, in other words, nope. Can't fix line spacing. Darn. Well, we'll just
have to live with it until I can come up with a better solution. There's
nothing in the data left to pare yet the dimensions of the printed form are
set. Nothing we can do about that, either.

Thanks just the same.

Gord Dibben

Excel has no cell internal line spacing feature.

How did they become too widely spaced apart?

Only way I can do this is to type a line of text then hit ALT + ENTER a couple
of times then type another line of text or pad between with a bunch of
<spaces> and turn on text-wrap.

If <spaces> try the TRIM function to remove them

If ALT + ENTERs turn off text-wrap to see if there are square boxes between
lines.

If so, edit>replace

what: ALT + 0010

with: <space> or nothing

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

StargateFanFromWork

Gord Dibben said:
Excel has no cell internal line spacing feature.

How did they become too widely spaced apart?

The text is so small now that the usu. spacing in between is the same width,
that's all. There's enough room in between the lines that if we could
affect line spacing, as in a word-processor, 2 lines of text would fit in
these cell dimensions just fine. The row height is set and can't be
modified, you see, to get all the other info in correctly. Yet some of the
text is too long and fits on 2 lines instead of one.

You guys obviously don't have such a wide diversity of stuff to do as I do
in Excel, or you'd have seen this happen before <lol>.

Thanks anyway. Without being able to change line spacing, there is no
solution to the problem as it stands now.

Thanks. :blush:D

Gord Dibben

One more try........

Maybe the cell is formatted to Vertical>Justify with the row height too tall
which would create spaces between lines.

Turn that off.

BTW........us guys don't normally use Excel as a Word Processor so yes, we
don't run into this sort of issue regularly.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Bill Sharpe

StargateFanFromWork said:
The text is so small now that the usu. spacing in between is the same width,
that's all. There's enough room in between the lines that if we could
affect line spacing, as in a word-processor, 2 lines of text would fit in
these cell dimensions just fine. The row height is set and can't be
modified, you see, to get all the other info in correctly. Yet some of the
text is too long and fits on 2 lines instead of one.

You guys obviously don't have such a wide diversity of stuff to do as I do
in Excel, or you'd have seen this happen before <lol>.

Thanks anyway. Without being able to change line spacing, there is no
solution to the problem as it stands now.

Thanks. :blush:D
And why can't you change row height or column width??? Or cut down on
the amount of text you're using? Or print in landscape mode instead of
portrait? Or use more than one page?

Bill

Bill

Bill

StargateFanFromWork

Bill Sharpe said:
StargateFanFromWork said:
news:[email protected]...
[snip]

And why can't you change row height or column width??? Or cut down on
the amount of text you're using? Or print in landscape mode instead of
portrait? Or use more than one page?

Been there, done that. I'm at the threshold of the space involved. There
are 12 months in the year and just had a tiny bit too much text in all the
cells involved. Couldn't be helped. Wasn't worth spilling over to 2 pages.
The only way to have fixed this would be to scrunch down the lines. I've
done that so many times in WordPerfect and Word that know the space would
work fine if that were a possibility in E2K. I'm working with text that
fits on 3.75 x 6.75" sheets which are cut out of a legal-sized paper to fit
into Daytimer planners. There wasn't much that could be done as I needed
all the info that is now in the space I was working with.

I didn't just make up the problem <g>. It's very real. No line spacing, no
solution. Doesn't matter now. Can't do anything about it though gave it my
best shot and we'll live with it as it is. Certainly don't want to do this
in Word as there isn't the ease of Excel formulas there to work with.
Despite this problem, E2K still the best for this.

Thanks. Cheers! :blush:D