Can The Use of The Wireless Card Slow Down Crunching?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I ask this because I have an old PC which does some crunching for BOINC and nothing else. It seems that when the PC is linked to the net via wi-fi that the crunching is only about half the speed of that when the wi-fi connection is not in use.

Is this a possibility or is it just a co-incidence?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
if the system is 'doing something' then BOINC will take a backseat until CPU cycles are freed up.

I didn't 'see' any problems when wired, I have never used wireless. :)

Reaction score
Disconect the wirless conection and see if that works as BOINC will run without connecting to the net?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Disconect the wirless conection and see if that works as BOINC will run without connecting to the net?

That's exactly what I've done, Viv.

And it seems that when disconnected that it runs much quicker. But this is just a new thing.

Wondered if there was some reason for it.

Reaction score
That's exactly what I've done, Viv.

And it seems that when disconnected that it runs much quicker. But this is just a new thing.

Wondered if there was some reason for it.

I don`t know for a reason but I had that problem when on wireless so I swapped back to cable. I did not look into it as I should have but as I don`t crunch anymore I left it at that.
it maybe that whatever you use IE Netgear etc could be using up the CPU.

Ask a Question