Can only install Artisan printer from vendor disk?

jw

I have an Artisan 810 AIO printer. It came with the usual install
disk. For years, I have followed the practice of backing up vendor
install disks on hard drive, from which I always re-installed the
drivers, etc from hard drive, if/when necessary. It has always
worked, and saved me from any problems connected with unreadable
disks.

Now suddenly, something I don't understand. My hard drive will not do
an install from the setup.exe file thereon. Yet if I go to the
original disk itself, setup.exe works just fine and does the install
fine.

I have tried it twice with same result. So - my question. What is
there about the disk that makes the installation work, but make the
hard drive copy fail? And can I bypass it?

Help please.

Thanks

Duke

choro

Menno Hershberger said:
It's possible that one of the install files got corrupted on the hard
drive. While the install disk is still good, try recopying them to the
hard
drive. Of course you already have the printer installed now, but that
might
have been the problem.

Do I take it your original disk is a floppy? If so I'd make a copy of it on
a CD if I were you. Floppies or rather the coating on them can and do dry
out over the
years and eventually they can become unusable.

Oh, the good old bad days! I remember buying the Lotus Suite which came on
no less than 42 (probably DD) floppies! Naturally it took eons to install!
--- Down with Fat 32! ---

--- Up with NTFS ---

...for ****'s Sake!
choro
*****

jw

It's possible that one of the install files got corrupted on the hard
drive. While the install disk is still good, try recopying them to the hard
drive. Of course you already have the printer installed now, but that might
have been the problem.

I thought of that, I recopied the files to the external hard drive,
and repeated the try. It failed the same way.
Good thought though.
Thanks anyway

Duke

jw

Do I take it your original disk is a floppy? If so I'd make a copy of it on
a CD if I were you. Floppies or rather the coating on them can and do dry
out over the
years and eventually they can become unusable.

No - it is a CD.

Duke

jw

I would go to Epson's web site and download the latest versions of the
software and drivers for you AIO printer (I have one.) I was able to both
install the way you desire to install with the installation disk copied to a
network share for all my computers. Later I ran the updated driver install
for the computers. Don't know why you have an issue other than the file on
the HDD was corrupted.

I'll do that.

I too want to use the install in a network share scenario. That works
for my other install disks.

Thanks

Duke

pjp

Grinder said:
I have an Artisan 810 AIO printer. It came with the usual install
disk. For years, I have followed the practice of backing up vendor
install disks on hard drive, from which I always re-installed the
drivers, etc from hard drive, if/when necessary. It has always
worked, and saved me from any problems connected with unreadable
disks.

Now suddenly, something I don't understand. My hard drive will not do
an install from the setup.exe file thereon. Yet if I go to the
original disk itself, setup.exe works just fine and does the install
fine.

I have tried it twice with same result. So - my question. What is
there about the disk that makes the installation work, but make the
hard drive copy fail? And can I bypass it?

Help please.

I would be surprised if there's a copy protection scheme in place for a
driver disc. Maybe the setup is just badly designed and makes some crappy
assumptions about file paths.

For example, it might assume that the kit is on the top level of the
drive, and do a fast and sloppy job of building file paths. If, for
example, you have a structure on your hard drive like this:

F: Drive
--Drivers [folder]
----Artisan 810 AIO [folder]
------Win9x
------Win2k
------WinXP
------SETUP.EXE

The setup might try to look for files in the "winxp" folder by just
grabbing the drive letter of of the EXE's path, and concatenating the
folder on to it, assuming it's at the top level. That would get
"F:\WinXP" instead of the proper path of "F:\Drivers\Artistan 810
AIO\WinXP"

Also, the setup program might not handle paths with spaces in them. If
the developer was lazy in assuming that the file structure would not
change, except for the driver letter, all sorts of weak crap could have
gone down.

To add to the above. You might also want to check for some type of "ini" (or
similar) file which may have an assumed "drive\path" for the setup program
to use. Edit that file accordingly and all would likely be ok.

jw

I would go to Epson's web site and download the latest versions of the
software and drivers for you AIO printer (I have one.) I was able to both
install the way you desire to install with the installation disk copied to a
network share for all my computers. Later I ran the updated driver install
for the computers. Don't know why you have an issue other than the file on
the HDD was corrupted.

I did that. I found the downloads to be confusing, but found two that
did the job. One executable (.exe) installed the scan and printcd
parts. Another installed the network printing part. They are
probably more up to date. I will go with them, and hope that a
single .exe file will not manifest the problem I had with the vendor
disk.

Thanks

Duke

LVTravel

[...]

Glad you got it working. Yes Epson's downloads are a little confusing even
for someone that has been going there for years (ever since I bought a
LQ2550 dot matrix printer which I still have.)

jw

Glad you got it working. Yes Epson's downloads are a little confusing even
for someone that has been going there for years (ever since I bought a
LQ2550 dot matrix printer which I still have.)

I am too. I have the Artisan 810, and I like all about it except the
damned load tray. It insists on picking up multiple sheets, no matter
what I try.

Duke

choro

I am too. I have the Artisan 810, and I like all about it except the
damned load tray. It insists on picking up multiple sheets, no matter
what I try.

Don't be mean. Try decent quality paper like 90g/m2 and thumb through the
ream like they do with poker cards. This makes sure the sheets do not stick
together.

LVTravel

I am too. I have the Artisan 810, and I like all about it except the
damned load tray. It insists on picking up multiple sheets, no matter
what I try.

Duke

I don't like the paper tray either but as choro said if you thumb through
the paper before putting it in the tray it works better. I also use 24 #
bond in mine normally as I do a lot of double-sided printing with bold color
and this helps stop bleed-through. When I do high quality printing it does
a great job on good quality Ink Jet Paper.

jw

I don't like the paper tray either but as choro said if you thumb through
the paper before putting it in the tray it works better. I also use 24 #
bond in mine normally as I do a lot of double-sided printing with bold color
and this helps stop bleed-through. When I do high quality printing it does
a great job on good quality Ink Jet Paper.

Well I have tried different, more expensive (not glossy) papers and so
far they all feed badly. In fact some of the fed sheets exhibit
abrasions on the side that suggest that the paper feed even binds on
the one side. I have not had this problem on prior HP and Epson
printers. Tech support has been of no help.

Duke