CAN ONLY ENTER 24 Hex DIGITS in XP wireless netoworking key field

G

I am having trouble configuring two different laptops - an inspiron and a latitude - for wireless WEP encryption.

I have a 4-port wireless Belkin 802.11b router. I have MAC filtering, dynamic IP, 128 bit key set

I have no problems connecting to router via ethernet cable. On my Inspiron, I have an Ashton Digital 802.11b wireless card. If I use the utility from Ashton, I have no problems running wireless with 128 bit key encryption. However, when I use the windows wireless network connection instead, there is only sufficient room in the Network Key field to enter in 24 HEX DIGITS. Unless I am mistaken, 128 bit key encryption requires 26 hex digits plus 6 more hex digits for the initialization vector. In the Ashton digital wireless utility, I can enter all 26 hex digits. However, in the XP windows utility, I can only input 25 hex digits. When I try to run with XP windows utility instead of Ashton digital, I can see an excellent wireless connection. However, when I try to connect and access a website, I get a cannot find server or dns error in the browser.

If I switch to 64 bit key encryption, there is sufficient room in the windows utility to enter all hex digits - and I my wireless connection works fine through XP utility.

On the Dell lattitude, I also have XP, but that laptop is 802.11 g with the built in wireless. I don't have a separate utility program to run - only windows xp. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or why can I only enter 24 hex digits in the windows xp wireless utility instead of all 26 hex digits? Am i doing something funny

The network authentication is Open, WEP data encryption. I know the mac addresses I have specified in the router config is correct. I have tried releasing and renewing IPs to no avail.

G

I don't have an answer, but the same problem. I would be happy to get some feedback if there is a solution meanwhile.

Ask a Question