can not start RRAS in XPe

G

I can see RRAS in service manager as disabled. Changed it to manual. Tried to start it
It gives me an error "Could not start the Routing and Remote Access service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

In properties page, the "Dependencies" tab is missing

Looked at the same page on my XP desktop, found the dependencies are: NetBios and RP
I have RPC components. A search on my XP desktop find \windows\system32\drivers\netbios.sy
But could not find the same on my XPe.

Does this mean I don't have netbios installed? How can I install it

Thank

Sherr

K

KM

sherry,

The component - "Netbios Driver", "Software : System : Networking &
Communications : Infrastructure", Visibility=200.
Lower you TD Min Visibility level to somehwhat less.

KM

K

KM

sherry,

I am not sure what you have included in to your image. The netbt.sys is brought with "Netbios over TCP/IP" component.
The NETBIOS install happens with "Netbios Driver" component that brings netbios.sys.
Please double check your configuration for those components.

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
KM: Thanks for the help.

When I lowered the component visibility, I do see Netbios over TCP/IP component on my configuration. It is a driver should be
installed in \Windows\systerm32\drivers\netbios.sys (?) I can see it on my XP desktop but only see netbt.sys in the same directory
on XPe.

G

I can start Routing and Remote Access Service through services.msc now by adding following components

1. NA
2. network routin
3. dial-up clien
4. connection manager runtim
5. Remote Access Monitory,
6. IP Router Monitor Librar

netbois.sys is installed now in ..\driver directory

However, RRAS service stops after it's started when I am out of services.msc and use "net start" to see what services are running. How can I view the event log

Our application uses MPR service too. I run a test program to call MprAdminServerConnect(...) to check if Mpr is up. I got error return RPC_S_UNKNOWN_IF. According to MSDN this indicates "The specified computer is not running the Routing and RAS service". It maybe related to the problem above or am I missing something here again

Thanks,

Sherry

K

KM

sherry,

Comments inline....

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
I can start Routing and Remote Access Service through services.msc now by adding following components:

1. NAT
2. network routing
3. dial-up client
4. connection manager runtime
5. Remote Access Monitory,
6. IP Router Monitor Library

netbois.sys is installed now in ..\driver directory.

I am glad. You may verify that "Netbios driver" component is in your image.
However, RRAS service stops after it's started when I am out of services.msc and use "net start" to see what services are running.
How can I view the event log?

Include "Event Log" component and resolve it dependencies.
Or, you can copy the following files from your target to see them with XP Pro/Event View offline:
%SystemRoot%\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt,
%SystemRoot%\system32\config\System.Evt,
%SystemRoot%\system32\config\Security.Evt.
Our application uses MPR service too. I run a test program to call MprAdminServerConnect(...) to check if Mpr is up. I got error
return RPC_S_UNKNOWN_IF. According to MSDN this indicates "The specified computer is not running the Routing and RAS service". It
maybe related to the problem above or am I missing something here again?

Try including "Primitive: Mpr" component and see if it helps.

Ask a Question