Windows XP Can MS Paint (XP Home 2002) save as PNG

Reaction score
I recently read that MSPaint cannot save as a JPEG. Instead, it saves a bmp with the pixels altered to resemble a jpeg. This is why, when you open it after saving it that way, the image often looks different then it did after you hit the "save" button.

So the question is, can it save in PNG format (not really sure why anyone educated enough to make a choice would want to use JPEG)? I do not know how to look at a file and see what type of file it is - Microoft's properties dialog doesn't have any hascodes or anything, on files - yet people are apparently able to determine whether or not files are really mp3s or pngs, and wha type of codec was used on audio compression - so does anyone know about this know if MS Paint can TRULY save in PNG?

If not does that mean the best method to save in when using MS Paint is BMP?

Please do not mention space (unless it is being mentioned in relation to how to determine a filtype outside of extension), as discussion about space on files are absolutely retarded (except for equal-quality, non-compressed or at least non-lossless formats - though lossless can have problems as well, especially when the type allows both lossless and lossy) when asking about quality of "best file format".

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
misinformation is bad

I recently read that MSPaint cannot save as a JPEG
Dunno where your "read" that, but they is wrong.

MS paint can save in the major formats, JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG & BMP ... try using the drop-down menu and "saving as". ;)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Paint

Why not turn off "hide file extension" for all your files ... in Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 or XP, the technique is similar.

In Windows XP, open up Windows Explorer. Right-click on the Start button. Then, left-click on Explore.

Click on Tools, Folder Options, View.

Then, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Suggest you change your reading material.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Mewgirl, Paint offers a range of format options, I've just checked both XP and Vista just to be certain. It's the same with either: click on File > Save As > Save as type > then choose from the menu which includes PNG (*.png) as an option. :thumb:

Hope that helps :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
mewgirl said:
(not really sure why anyone educated enough to make a choice would want to use JPEG)?

That makes me a real non-educated thickie then.

Ask a Question