Can I upgrade from RC2 to RTM?

EdricFilho

Hi

I would like to know if is it possible to, instead of doing a clean install,
choose to upgrade an RC2 to RTM.

Thanks

Edric

Tiberiu Dubau

I remember reading in this forum that it might be possible... However, why
would you do that?
Clean install for me, no doubt about it...

Cheers mate,
Tibi

Saucy

When Microsoft released RC2 they clearly stated that RC2 to RTM was not
supported upgrade path .. so you attempt / do so at your own risk. Advice
from other threads on the subject is that one should bite the bullet and do
a clean install of Vista RTM.

Richard Urban

I can not conceive as to why someone would want to possibly keep "old code"
around on their computer. What problems may that cause in the future? Who
knows!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

EdricFilho

You're all right, thank you

Edric

Richard Urban said:
I can not conceive as to why someone would want to possibly keep "old code"
around on their computer. What problems may that cause in the future? Who
knows!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Alexander Suhovey

Posted At: Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:55 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: Can I upgrade from RC2 to RTM?
Subject: Re: Can I upgrade from RC2 to RTM?

I can not conceive as to why someone would want to possibly keep "old code"
around on their computer. What problems may that cause in the future? Who
knows!

It's not about the code, obviously. It's about environment which it may
take a lot of time to recreate.

Saucy

You're getting philosophical.

Posted At: Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:55 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: Can I upgrade from RC2 to RTM?

I can not conceive as to why someone would want to possibly keep
"old code" around on their computer. What problems may that cause
in the future? Who knows!

It's not about the code, obviously. It's about environment which it
may take a lot of time to recreate.

MICHAEL

Well, according to Microsoft- there is no "old code"
left behind when doing an "upgrade". The whole OS
is a brand new image put down. The only thing "old"
would be settings or compatible programs put back after
the install.

-Michael

MICHAEL

EdricFilho said:
Hi

I would like to know if is it possible to, instead of doing a clean install, choose to
upgrade an RC2 to RTM.

Yes, an upgrade from RC2 to RTM does work.

However, to be absolutely sure you start off on
the "right" foot- do a "clean" install.

-Michael

Gary Mount

I was wondering about the copy protected recordings from Vista Media Center.
Will I be able to play them when I do a clean install?