Can I Share Settings using Shortcuts?

B

Bill

I was wondering, can more than one user share Settings by using shortcuts in the
Documents and Settings folders?

For example, if I've got settings for User Barry with a fictitious program I'll call
GraphIt in settings folder Barry/.../GraphIt, then the same folder will be reproduced
for every user. But what if the GraphIt settings folder for user Larry was an Explorer
shortcut to the settings folder for user Barry?

Assuming that Barry and Larry have file access to corresponding settings folders, will
this work?

Or is there another way for users to share program settings?

Thanks!

Bill.

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Bill said:
I was wondering, can more than one user share Settings by using shortcuts in the
Documents and Settings folders?

For example, if I've got settings for User Barry with a fictitious program I'll call
GraphIt in settings folder Barry/.../GraphIt, then the same folder will be reproduced
for every user. But what if the GraphIt settings folder for user Larry was an Explorer
shortcut to the settings folder for user Barry?

Assuming that Barry and Larry have file access to corresponding settings folders, will
this work?

Or is there another way for users to share program settings?

Thanks!

Bill.

If with "settings" you refer to the various settings a user
has inside an application (e.g. his EMail settings in Outlook)
then the answer is no. Such settings are usually kept in
the registry under the user's logon name. They are not
shared or shareable.

B

Bill

If with "settings" you refer to the various settings a user
has inside an application (e.g. his EMail settings in Outlook)
then the answer is no. Such settings are usually kept in
the registry under the user's logon name. They are not
shared or shareable.

No, I'm not referring to settings kept in the registry, I'm referring to setting stored
in the C:\Documents and Settings folder only - the settings are stored as files.

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Bill said:

No, I'm not referring to settings kept in the registry, I'm referring to setting stored
in the C:\Documents and Settings folder only - the settings are stored as files.

Then you need to be more specific and give an example.

Ask a Question