Can I open PowerPoint 95 files from PowerpPoint 2000?

I burned some old PowerPoint 95 files to a CD for my boss.. Now he says he
cannot read them. I took the CD back and sure enough neither can I. We both
have Office 2000 Professional installed.

I know I have opened these files before, so I tried opening one of them that
resides on my hard disc and "poof", there it is just as pretty as the day I
drew it in 1998. I try to open that same file that I copied to a CD and
"gong", I get the error message to the effect that PowerPoint (2000) cannot
open the type of file represented by the data on "filename" (PowerPoint 95 I
just opened 3 seconds ago). So have I finally lost it or what is happening
to me? My credibility is slipping away quickly.

Need some help here,

Jerry L Miller

Echo S

Yes, PPT 2000 should be able to open files created in PPT 95. You might see
a "converting" message while it opens, but it should indeed open.

I'd be more inclined to suspect the CD "copy." You said you "copied to a
CD." Don't do that. Use CD burning software (or, if you have Windows XP, use
its CD burning capability) to burn the files to CD. Make sure you "close the
session" on the CD also. ("Closed session" might be listed under something
like "don't allow more files to be burned to this CD.")

And then on the other end, tell your boss to copy the file from the CD to
his hard drive before he opens it.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

"Keeping the Faith Jerry" <Keeping the Faith
news:[email protected]...

Steve Rindsberg

copying one of the files from the CD to the HDD, then open it from there.