Can I install a single copy of Vista Ultimate on more than one PC?

I was wondering if someone can help! I have just brought a copy of Vista
Ultimate for my Media centre PC but waould also like to install it on my
notebook. I've heard you can install a copy of Vista Ultimate on more than
one PC so long as its the same persons. Any truth in this??? I hope so!!!
:)

Mike Brannigan

SartyMcfly said:
I was wondering if someone can help! I have just brought a copy of Vista
Ultimate for my Media centre PC but waould also like to install it on my
notebook. I've heard you can install a copy of Vista Ultimate on more
than
one PC so long as its the same persons. Any truth in this??? I hope
so!!!
:)

No you will need to buy another copy for your notebook.
Read your End User License Agreement

Just run WINVER and click the link to read it.

John Barnett MVP

You can only install the software on 'one' machine. If you have two
machines, you buy two copies.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

KristleBawl

If it's a retail version (not OEM preinstalled on a new computer) then, yes,
you can 'install' it, but you will not be able to register or activate it
until you purchase another "key" for each machine.

KB

"SartyMcfly" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Ken Blake, MVP

I was wondering if someone can help! I have just brought a copy of Vista
Ultimate for my Media centre PC but waould also like to install it on my
notebook. I've heard you can install a copy of Vista Ultimate on more than
one PC so long as its the same persons. Any truth in this??? I hope so!!!
:)

No, no truth at all. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one
license) for each computer.

There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's been in
effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows 3.1. The only
thing new, starting with Windows XP and continuing with Vista, is that
there's now an enforcement mechanism.

ls [sb]

on little interesting thing ... With MS Office, you can (not sure with 2007,
but pretty darn sure you were allowed with older vers*). You were allowed
to install on a primary desktop, and one laptop. (but not two desktops).

but that's about the oldy peice of software I can think of that has legally
allowed such. definately not windows.

--

* a quick google gives the following
http://www.utexas.edu/its/sds/microsoft/office2003.html

Bruce Chambers

SartyMcfly said:
I was wondering if someone can help! I have just brought a copy of Vista
Ultimate for my Media centre PC but waould also like to install it on my
notebook. I've heard you can install a copy of Vista Ultimate on more than
one PC so long as its the same persons.

Never listen to that source again. It's very unreliable.

Any truth in this??? I hope so!!!

No, of course not.

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

With Vista Ultimate, it's sometimes possible to qualify for
additional licenses, at a reduced cost:

Windows Vista: Windows Vista Family Discount
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/familydiscount.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

Bruce said:
Never listen to that source again. It's very unreliable.

No, of course not.

You should have been a bit more specific, Bruce. It is possible to
install Vista on more than one machine. But doing that opens you to the
crappy, buggy DRM that MS employs on it's products. This means it may
only work for a short time before it goes into reduced functionality
mode under any additional installs.
You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it.

Noone needs to do this. They need to eat, to breath, but they don't
need to purchase vista licenses.
Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating systems,
it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed.

Oh, you are a lawyer now? Where and when did you achieve your law
degree? What was your specialty?
(Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

Ah yes, the "spread em at our command" and "pound you in the arse" software.
With Vista Ultimate, it's sometimes possible to qualify for
additional licenses, at a reduced cost:

Windows Vista: Windows Vista Family Discount
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/familydiscount.mspx

Now this information actually makes sense.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot