can I get graphics pc for under £500

Reaction score
Hi Got a tower which has nvidia EPoX EP-8RDA3I mb, 1g ram and matrox G450 graphics card. Photoshop runs ok but hangs now and again. I dont have much money ive got £500. Can I or should I get a better machine? there is another boot problem I cant solve and the mb is old so I want to get a new tower that will run things ok........... well £500 worth of ok.Many many thanks sam

Reaction score
Heyas I'm new around here, but I couldn't help but register and post here.
For £500 it is possible, but it also depends on what other applications or use you have for your PC.

EDIT

f_buildm_2038671.png

Unless I missed a important component out, you have about £50 to use to configure your build.
I'm pretty sure that photoshop is more CPU and RAM intensive then GPU intensive. Unless you absolutely need to upgrade, I recommend you wait and gather more funds to about £600-£700 as it will open up alot more choices, especially if you are planning to work long term with graphics. I.E preferably get a intel quad core, at least 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia Quadro FX/ATI Fire GL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Phaeton said:
Heyas I'm new around here, but I couldn't help but register and post here.
For £500 it is possible, but it also depends on what other applications or use you have for your PC.

EDIT

f_buildm_2038671.png

Unless I missed a important component out, you have about £50 to use to configure your build.
I'm pretty sure that photoshop is more CPU and RAM intensive then GPU intensive. Unless you absolutely need to upgrade, I recommend you wait and gather more funds to about £600-£700 as it will open up alot more choices, especially if you are planning to work long term with graphics. I.E preferably get a intel quad core, at least 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia Quadro FX/ATI Fire GL.

This looks ok, the only thing I would do is get a better PSU Corsair HX520W. Aprat form that it all looks ok. I have never heard of Silverstone before so thats why I would go for another PSU.

Wizkid

Reaction score
wizkid said:
This looks ok, the only thing I would do is get a better PSU Corsair HX520W. Aprat form that it all looks ok. I have never heard of Silverstone before so thats why I would go for another PSU.

Wizkid

The same Silverstone that makes aftermarket coolers with white fans and also high end cases that many online system builders use ? You got to know them :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep - nothing wrong with Silverstone :thumb:

However my personal fave PSUs at the moment are indeed Corsair :D

Reaction score
Phaeton said:
The same Silverstone that makes aftermarket coolers with white fans and also high end cases that many online system builders use ? You got to know them :p

Ok then thats fine then. I was not sure as I had not heard of them.

Wiz

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys ,your very generous. Who would I get to suplly and build this? , Ive been told novatech in the past. also if I wanted to throw a bit more money on that "price list" of about £100 where should the money go? This is going to be a system that will improve on my current one and in the long run I will then use this as my seperate net computer and build another system > Just dont have the money for a nice system right now. I will be running the following programs not all at once though, in order of importance.

Photoshop
illustrator
indesign
dreamweaver
cubase sx ( will gat a soundcard later)

many thanks

Reaction score
Well I configured that on Scan.co.uk
But it's selecting the components into the basket and seeing the price.
The bits above are for build the PC by yourself which can be cheaper at times.
Getting someone else to do it might be more expensive.
If you don't know how to build a PC then we can help here by providing tips on how to and it's bank holiday tommorow and I have nothing to do, I don't mind looking for system builders :p

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
found this on PC Option, you can make your own system but here is an example for the money,

Intel® Core® 2 Duo. (E8400 (3.0GHz, 6MB, 1333FSB)
Case 46 - Gbyte GZ-X3 Black 650Watt
1 X EN8600GT 1GB
750GB Sata 2 Hard Drive
2048 DDR 2 1066 MHz
Xp Home With SP2 & Disc
1 X LG Lightscribe 20 X DVDRW DL
Asus P5KPL-C/1600 Motherboard

£502.67

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2b English OEM £55.00
OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT £32.00
XFX nForce-630i+GF7100, DDR2, m-ATX, Socket-775, DVI/HDMI/HDCP, PCI-Ex16 £47.00
AKASA Zen Black case with 2 Silent 12cm Fans and Front I/O Ports £30.00
Corsair Powersupply 550W Bulk, black, ATX/EPS, 120mm fan, 4xSATA, SLI £54.00
NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7201A, IDE, Black, LightScribe, Multirecorder(Ram), OEM £22.50
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM £70.00
XFX GeForce 8600GTS 675M 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDCP, 675/2000Mhz £99.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan £119.00

Total:529.00

This is ordered from komplett and you would have to build yourself.
Last month i built my own PC for the first time, with some help from the people here and my bro, it is easy enough. A bit daunting perhaps to start with, but all the parts come with instructions and diagrams. i'm sure one of the moderators on here could make you a build manual or find one or even volunteer to help if you are local, i live in brum, lol.

Ask a Question