Can I email a PST file to another user?

Nancy

I'm using Outlook 2003 and want to email another user of Outlook 2003
a .PST file that I saved to my drive of all my contacts but no other
folder.
I used high encryption with a password and want to use my POP email to
send it.
Is this possible.
Is there anything that could screw up the receiver of the PST file?

Thank you.

Nancy

F. H. Muffman

Nancy said:
I'm using Outlook 2003 and want to email another user of Outlook 2003
a .PST file that I saved to my drive of all my contacts but no other
folder.
I used high encryption with a password and want to use my POP email to
send it.
Is this possible.
Is there anything that could screw up the receiver of the PST file?

Yes it's possible, so long as the PST isn't open when you try to send it.
That'd probably fail.

If the PST is too large, you may want to find a different method of sharing
it. I'd probably not email anything over a mb in size.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Send it as a .zip archive. .pst file is considered to be a dangerous file type, so Outlook normally will block it.

Nancy

I tried to zip the PST file but WinZip had an error ... something
about it not being able to read it.

The file size is .98 MB but the file was sent to Yahoo Mail.
I'll find out if it made it.

To be honest, I'll be surprised if this works at all.

Thanks for your replies.

Nancy

PS- Wow! I didn't realize that this forum was so busy.
You guys are over-worked. Had I known that I would not have bothered
you with such a trivial problem.

----------------------------
in message

--
"Nancy" > wrote in message
I'm using Outlook 2003 and want to email another user of Outlook
2003 a .PST file that I saved to my drive of all my contacts but no
other folder.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You must close Outlook before you can do anything independently with a ..pst file that you've had open during the current Outlook session.

Nancy

How does one import the PST file in Outlook if Outlook must be closed?

Should I just put the PST file with the other PST files in the default
location? Then open Outlook?

Nancy

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

What Sue means is that once you have made the .pst file you want to send, you must completely close Outlook to break the connection between your newly created .pst file and your current .pst file for all of your OUtlook data. Once that connection is broken, you can then open Outlook again (make sure it was COMPLETELY closed before) and then send the new ..pst file - Zip the file before sending.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Nancy asked:

| How does one import the PST file in Outlook if Outlook must be closed?
|
| Should I just put the PST file with the other PST files in the default
| location? Then open Outlook?
|
| Nancy
|
| -------------------------------------
| "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook wrote in message
|
| You must close Outlook before you can do anything independently with a
| .pst file that you've had open during the current Outlook session.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Right. Create the .zip file while Outlook is closed, then restart Outlook and send it.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

What Sue means is that once you have made the .pst file you want to send, you must completely close Outlook to break the connection between your newly created .pst file and your current .pst file for all of your OUtlook data. Once that connection is broken, you can then open Outlook again (make sure it was COMPLETELY closed before) and then send the new ..pst file - Zip the file before sending.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Nancy asked:

| How does one import the PST file in Outlook if Outlook must be closed?
|
| Should I just put the PST file with the other PST files in the default
| location? Then open Outlook?
|
| Nancy
|
| -------------------------------------
| "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook wrote in message
|
| You must close Outlook before you can do anything independently with a
| .pst file that you've had open during the current Outlook session.

A variation of this is I copied my companies contacts into my contacts,
exported the file to a .pst.
I then burned it to a CD and ailed it to one of my remote users.
He tried to import and then "Open Other Data File" and got a permissions
issue.
Is this something that would have caused that?
The original contacts came from our Public Folder on the Exch 2003 server,
copied all into mine.
THanks
John

DL

You cannot Import from a cd as its read only.
You need to copy from cd to hd, turn off the read only flag, then open in OL