Can I do things the sloppy way? Without too much risk?

Buffalo

"micky" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Mine too. It had a conning tower and a periscope and antennas on that,
and it had a detailed surface for the deck.

Mine probably used that too.

It's amazing how much is up there somewhere.

Yes, I think we had the same thing. Mine worked just like that.

Later, the same brand of cereal offered frogmen and I had them too, a
set of three iirc, but they weren't as good. For one thing, a submarine
is always the same shape, but a frogman isn't .

I think I saw the submarine online in the past year, and here it is,
Ebay, searched for toy submarine baking 21 hits

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Cereal...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b87ed1b3

This guy says it comes in the original packaging, but given that the
picture has it saying "the original 1950's cereal premium", I doubt if
that's the orignal packaging. In fact I dont think there was more than
a blank, brown paper enevelope.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVING-SUBM...91939?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3cee551843

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Bak...042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c92c6054a

They cost 10 or 11 dollars with shipping. The very same thing as what
we had.

This one is some cheap imitation! Note the difrerences. Doesn't
claim to be original.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIVING-sub-...70?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item2c91f4a566

Here's another recent version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diving-Subm...Pretend_Play_Preschool_US&hash=item35e12ae9ec

I knew you meant that, and that's where I had checked, but I hadn't
remembered what I saw. I checked this morning and the option was there.
I think I ignored it because I don't play games. I think I ignored
"quiet" because I don't play games and the whole Avast is quiet. No
sounds that I hear. I didnt think of visual quietness, which I would
probably complain about anywhere else. Like references to verbal
violence, and emotional violence, and "We're pregant."

I probably ignore that for the same reasons, but I checked it on the
icon menu this morning, adn afaict, not more interruptions. Thanks
again.
That sub picture brought back some memories.
That Silent/Gaming Mode selections works well for me, also

Good Guy

The trick I found is in the diet.

No longer drinking (beer) has been a help.

Must be very anti-social then!!!!!!!

Have you thought of taking up "Software-Defined Networking" or SDN for
short? Apparently it will will enable man on the street to solve
'rocket scientist' issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It also stops veterans to get PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder>) -
apparently!!!!!!!!!!!!.

philo

Must be very anti-social then!!!!!!!

My wife and I have a huge party once a year for all of our friends.
(Tomorrow will be the day.)

For the first few years after we quit drinking we did not serve any
alcohol but they just brought their own.

We then realized...what the heck, why should be be spoil sports and now
we serve beer and wine....and of course plenty of food.

Everyone has fun and when the next day my wife and I wake up with no
hangover we wonder how all our friends are doing.

micky

I am not at all starving. I rarely go for more than four hours without
eating.
You should ask my wife.

On our very first date, when she got up to use the facilities,
when she came back, her entire meal was gone. For some odd reason she
still went out with me again.

I'm surprised too. How much had she eaten before she left the table?
Wasn't she still hungry?

Dave Doe

NONONOmisc07 said:
Can I do things the sloppy way? Without too much risk?

Rather than look at each start-up program in msconfig, can I just
uncheck every one I don't know for sure I want. And then recheck the
boxes for any I conclude later I need.

There are 20 or 30 entries that were on this Acer netbook running XP
when I bought the thing USED 4 years ago.

I wanted to use that webpage I found once to look up each startup
program and make an informed decision about which ones to try to
uninstall or at least uncheck in msconfig.

But that will take a lot of time. Is it so bad to do it like I say at
the top?

Thanks.

Good program for de-crappyfying manufacturer laptop stuff...
http://www.shouldIRemoveIt.com

And instead of msconfig, I prefer to use Crap Cleaner (Ccleaner from
Piriform s/w) and use their Tools, Startup utility. You can disable
items, rather than delete them, for testing. Also handy for say the
Adobe startup program (doesn't get put back in if it's there, but
disabled - rather than deleted - in which case, the next Adobe update
*will* put it back in).

Dave Doe

Good program for de-crappyfying manufacturer laptop stuff...
http://www.shouldIRemoveIt.com

And instead of msconfig, I prefer to use Crap Cleaner (Ccleaner from
Piriform s/w) and use their Tools, Startup utility. You can disable
items, rather than delete them, for testing. Also handy for say the
Adobe startup program (doesn't get put back in if it's there, but
disabled - rather than deleted - in which case, the next Adobe update
*will* put it back in).

Another wee page I spotted when I double-checked the shouldIremoveIt URL
- ...
http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/oems-bloatware.aspx

philo

I'm surprised too. How much had she eaten before she left the table?
Wasn't she still hungry?

She had eaten 3/4ths of the meal and I did offer to buy her another one
but she said it was OK.

micky

She had eaten 3/4ths of the meal and I did offer to buy her another one
but she said it was OK.

LOL

Not really related to your story. One of the things my father liked a
lot about my mother before they married was that she ate the whole meal
when he took her out to dinner. He was tired of girls that picked at it
and left most. Some years later my mother gained 10 or 20 pounds and
couldn't take it off.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Bill in Co said:
Hey Good Guy,
Are you aware that you are posting in HTML format in this newsgroup?
(It's a bit unusual, and was wondering if you were aware of it. In
newsgroups, folks normally use the plain text option, per protocols).
[]
To be precise, he's posting in both, i. e. two copies of every post.
Your newsreader software picks one (and if it picks the HTML one,
_should_ render it). [So does mine, but gives me two buttons; I can
select between the two versions. In his case, there seems little
difference between the plain text and the rendered HTML text; obviously
the raw HTML text is longer.]

He _may_ be able to stop his news software doing it.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Good Guy said:
On 12/12/2014 15:42, philo  wrote:

The trick I found is in the diet.

No longer drinking (beer) has been a help.

Must be very anti-social then!!!!!!!

Not at all! Being social does not of itself _require_ the drinking of
beer (or, arguably, any alcohol - or the taking of any other drug for
that matter).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not teetotal (or even religious) [though I
don't think becoming so would bother me, if for example I needed to for
medical reasons]. I like to think I'm quite sociable!
Have you thought of taking up "Software-Defined Networking" or SDN for
short?  Apparently it will will enable man on the street to solve
'rocket scientist' issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It also stops veterans to get PTSD  (Post traumatic stress disorder) -
apparently!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I've no idea what that is, but I do object to the term, as it doesn't
actually explain anything. And of course the claims for it suggest they
were written by people who have very little clue what it's about either!

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Dave said:
(e-mail address removed), Dave Doe says... []
Good program for de-crappyfying manufacturer laptop stuff...
http://www.shouldIRemoveIt.com
[]
Thanks; looks like another useful resource, and free.

It's not just manufacturer stuff - it looks at all installed. For
example, it says I have 201 installed! It lists them, in reverse order
of what percentage of other users have uninstalled them: for example,
the first two of mine it lists are two versions of the same thing which
apparently 49% and 47% of users uninstall; the next one 40% uninstall,
and all the others I have, from 28% down to 1% uninstall. (It does
stress that you shouldn't uninstall something just because other people
do: if software is doing something you want and you're happy with it,
keep it [unless it's malware!].) If you click on an entry in the list,
it tells you the version number, when you installed it, and the
installed size (OK, that info. is probably in add/remove programs, or
whatever it's called on the Windows you have), and gives you two buttons
- What is it? and Uninstall. What is it takes you to their website where
it gives a (fairly short) description of what the application is, all
sort of things like what files it installs and whether and when they
run, and some interesting graphs showing the history of that particular
app. - when people installed it, when they uninstalled it, and average
duration of an installation.

Obviously its statistics are limited to its users, but it looks to me a
useful - and interesting - utility. XP to 8, I think.

Paul

J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
Bill in Co said:
Hey Good Guy,
Are you aware that you are posting in HTML format in this newsgroup?
(It's a bit unusual, and was wondering if you were aware of it. In
newsgroups, folks normally use the plain text option, per protocols).
[]
To be precise, he's posting in both, i. e. two copies of every post.
Your newsreader software picks one (and if it picks the HTML one,
_should_ render it). [So does mine, but gives me two buttons; I can
select between the two versions. In his case, there seems little
difference between the plain text and the rendered HTML text; obviously
the raw HTML text is longer.]

He _may_ be able to stop his news software doing it.

In Thunderbird, I just turned off HTML. And that's
an attack surface wiped out. In a way, I should thank
our protagonist for this "Security improvement" on my PC.
I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

When an HTML post comes in, I can't even tell it's HTML,
and just the text portion is used. I don't even see any
HTML code.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_and_news_settings

"mailnews.display.disallow_mime_handlers

What classes can process incoming data.
Its meant for paranoid users.

0 (default): All classes
1: Don't display HTML <---
2: Don't display HTML and inline images
3: Don't display HTML, inline images and some other uncommon types
100: Use a hard coded list
"

HTH,
Paul

J. P. Gilliver (John)

[QUOTE="Paul said:
Bill in said:
Hey Good Guy,
Are you aware that you are posting in HTML format in this newsgroup?
(It's a bit unusual, and was wondering if you were aware of it. In
newsgroups, folks normally use the plain text option, per protocols).
[]
To be precise, he's posting in both, i. e. two copies of every post.
Your newsreader software picks one (and if it picks the HTML one,
_should_ render it). [So does mine, but gives me two buttons; I can
select between the two versions. In his case, there seems little
difference between the plain text and the rendered HTML text;
obviously the raw HTML text is longer.]
He _may_ be able to stop his news software doing it.

In Thunderbird, I just turned off HTML. And that's
an attack surface wiped out. In a way, I should thank
our protagonist for this "Security improvement" on my PC.
I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.[/QUOTE]
[]
I prefer not to get protagonistical if I can help it (-:

My news/email client only renders those parts of HTML that are "safe" -
text formatting and so on. That way I can view emails/posts from people
who don't realise they're posting in HTML, without having to see all the
tags.

micky

HA!

The Army does not allow you to be fat.

When I was 22 it was all muscle.

At age 65 , I'm afraid my muscle to fat ratio has changed a bit...but
since I quite drinking over 20 years ago, I do not have the beer gut
that so many men my age have.

I have a beer gut and I don't drink beer at all. Barely drink wine,
and that's it. But I've lost 30 pounds since July and only have 80
more to get to my college junior weight, which is only 15 pounds more
than when I was thin.

philo

LOL

Not really related to your story. One of the things my father liked a
lot about my mother before they married was that she ate the whole meal
when he took her out to dinner. He was tired of girls that picked at it
and left most. Some years later my mother gained 10 or 20 pounds and
couldn't take it off.

10 or 20 pounds is not that bad.

I am the type who always finishes other people's meals.

Before I met my wife I was dating a woman where just the opposite
happened...she always finished my meals.

Years later I ran into here and wow was she huge!

I bet she was 80+ pounds heavier .

micky

I just saw your reply, about 6 weeks late.

She became a size 14, whatever that means.
10 or 20 pounds is not that bad.

I am the type who always finishes other people's meals.
I wish more people would let me do that, but I have to lose weight
anyhow.
Before I met my wife I was dating a woman where just the opposite
happened...she always finished my meals.

Haha. I talk a lot, but I men one woman who woudln't let me get a word
in edgewise. She was married for a while to a very quiet guy.
Years later I ran into here and wow was she huge!

I bet she was 80+ pounds heavier .

Not good for her health, either.