CAB files for .Net SP3?

Tim Johnson

I've used the SP3 msi file on the desktop to install everything for Visual
Studio and the PDA, but I wanted to get just the cab file(s) required for
PDA installation for my users. On my system I saw C:\Program
Files\Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3/ contains a file called
"netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab". I assumed the "all" meant what it said, but
after installing it my app errors out with the message about the system not
containing .Net.

Is there something more I need besides the "all" file? Note that the
cab-builder inside VS doesn't include .Net cab files, I guess it assumes you
already have .Net on the target device.

--

Tim Johnson
High Point Software, Inc.

Alex Feinman [MVP]

CF indeed needs to be installed separatey. At the moment however there is no
"Developer" redistributable package for SP3. You cannot redestribute parts
of the end-user redist. You need to direct your user to download and install
it manually

Tim Johnson

But isn't that download only for a desktop, ie he can't take his
GPRS-equipped PDA and download/install directly to the PDA? All I've found
is the msi file which won't work on the PDA itself.

--

Tim Johnson
High Point Software, Inc.

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Correct. There is no direct to PDA download and there never was. It is
supposed to be installed via ActiveSync connection

Nathan Mellor

Um, on Service Pack 2, there were CABs that you could put within your own
MSI install.

Did this change in Service Pack 3?

Nathan

Yes. MS has not yet released a redistributable version of the SP. No clue
why, but that's how it is right now.

-Chris

Tim Johnson

I've got 30 PDAs in the field and in the 3-weeks of pilot program, 3 of them
have gone stone cold dead and lost all data. They are 4-6 hours away from
home base, out in the middle of nowhere. But they do have GPRS capability.
So I was hoping I could offer them a way to completely reinstall everything
right there on the road, either with PocketIE or with an SD card they could
pop in. But what I'm hearing is these drivers with a high-school education
need to drive home, cradle their PDA to do ActiveSync from some desktop, if
there's one available, run an MSI file, and then run my installation.

Is it just me, or is that not a proper mobile solution? :)

--

Tim Johnson
High Point Software, Inc.

Tim Johnson

FWIW - I determined that the following cab files appear to successfully
install .Net CF:

netcf.core.ppc3.ARMV4.cab
netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab

I'm not actually sure both are needed. I found them in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3, so I assume they're the SP3
files.

I also needed this SqlCe cab file:

sqlce.wce4.armv4.cab

which I found C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows CE\wce300\armv4. Note that
directory also has the netcf.all* cab file, but not the netcf.core* cab
file. Also, your app may require the other 2 SqlCe cab files found there.

Lastly, if I manually include what I need from OpenNetCF into my app's cab
file, I'm good to go (or you could use the OpenNETCF.SDF.PPC3.ARMV4.CAB file
from that last directory).

I might be able to put all the dlls from the 1st 3 cab files into my cab
file too, but for now I'm not going to bother. I'll just create an
autorun.exe program which launches the 4 cab files, and put the whole thing
on an SD card so a guy in the field can completely re-install himself after
his battery dies. I'll probably also create a PDA website so the driver
could navigate there and tap on one cab file after the other re-install
right from PocketIE.
--

Tim Johnson
High Point Software, Inc.

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

SP3 Developer redist has been available for sometime now.
I'm sorry nobody made an announcement; I'll make another post to fix that.
It can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7bf3
13b9-71ed-4e15-ad6e-315dae6faf9f

Best regards,

Ilya

From: "<ctacke/>" <ctacke_AT_OpenNETCF_com>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Tim Johnson

Thanks. The netf.all..wce4.ARMV4.cab file (11/15/2004) in particular is
newer and bigger than what came in the MSI file I have for SP3, even though
the msi file itself is newer (1/5/2005).

--

Tim Johnson
High Point Software, Inc.

"Ilya Tumanov [MS]" said:
SP3 Developer redist has been available for sometime now.
I'm sorry nobody made an announcement; I'll make another post to fix that.
It can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7bf3
13b9-71ed-4e15-ad6e-315dae6faf9f

Best regards,