buzzing when minimizing/maximizing windows

Kalmar

Hello!
I just constructed my new computer and installed an XP with SP2 on it.
I begun to get comfortable with it but... I connected the headphones
and noticed strange buzzing when I minimize and maximize windows.
1. It's not the headphones -- loudspeakers does buzz as well.
2. It doesn't matter weather it's the rear panel or the front panel.
3. I've got a sound card integrated with the motherboard Asus P5B, as
far as I understand the documentation, it's SoundMAX ADI AD1988A 8-
channel CODEC and I installed the latest driver from the Asus website.
4. It has nothing to do with the sound schemes (is that how it's named
in English? I mean the setting of various samples played when I do
some things).
5. There's generaly too high nose level. It does not appear when I run
a kUbuntu Linux from a CD nor does any strange buzzing (but there are
sounds and it seems to use some default driver). So it seems not to be
hardware problem, at least not an obvious one. In Windows there
appears some strange sounds when the splash screen is displayed (the
one with the blue bar) and the noise level rises soon after it
disappears.
6. I tried muting and turning on and off various things at the sound
settings. The result was quite strange -- muting 3rd, 5th or 7th
chanel of loudspeakers turns the noise and the buzzing off until the
restart of the system...
That's all I remember I noticed so far. Do any of you have any idea
what's going on and how to solve the problem?

Kalmar

db

maybe it's RF from
the monitor, cable or board.

it seems to reason that min'g/max'g
generates a power fluctuation.

but this is only a theory...
[...]

Every theory is appreciated. But why doesn't any noise or buzzing
appear at Linux? Does it use the hardware in a different way than XP?

Kalmar

maybe it's RF from
the monitor, cable or board.

it seems to reason that min'g/max'g
generates a power fluctuation.

but this is only a theory...
"Kalmar" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...

[...]

db

that's an excellent question and
comparison. unfortunately, I don't
have an answer.

Every theory is appreciated. But why doesn't any noise or buzzing
appear at Linux? Does it use the hardware in a different way than XP?

Kalmar

maybe it's RF from
the monitor, cable or board.

it seems to reason that min'g/max'g
generates a power fluctuation.

but this is only a theory...
"Kalmar" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...

[...]

Ayush

Kalmar wrote ::
Hello!
I just constructed my new computer and installed an XP with SP2 on it.
I begun to get comfortable with it but... I connected the headphones
and noticed strange buzzing when I minimize and maximize windows.

Try the setting here-
Control Panel - Sounds and audio - Sounds tab - Windows\Minmize/Maximize

Good Luck, Ayush.

Kalmar

Kalmar wrote ::

Try the setting here-
Control Panel - Sounds and audio - Sounds tab - Windows\Minmize/Maximize

That was one of the first things I tried. But there was no sounds for
minimizing/maximizing by default and any changes didn't help. Anyway
the buzzing is not a constant sound -- often it's not present so much
at the beginning just after booting. But some applications (of the few
I installed so far) strengthen it -- sometimes it's IE or Firefox,
sometimes Skype, but there's no clear pattern and I think there's no
straightforward relation.

Kalmar