Buying a new computer

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Thats because Activation is based upon attempts and system spec.
BTW.... if it was a OEM version i.e. already installed your not supposed to transfer it to another system.. it lives and dies with the origional system.
Generally M/S licenses are valid for 1 installation at a time (excepts like... Enterprise and open volumn licensing).

Once again we're venturing into a massive grey area (and illegal) so I'll leave it at that and say my dues.

I have 3 machines running XP, It was O.E.M on the first and I installed it on the other 2..Although the verification couldn't be done automatically or via phone keypad..I had to speak to customer support and was passed from pilar to post..Eventually getting validation..The person I spoke to said they could validate it, as it was for my personal use..But he wasn't 100% sure what would happen were I to sell any of the machines..2 run fine, but one will not update..Errors pointing to validation of product key..

Reaction score
Any more help and ideas please,i'm thinking things through at the moment,i guess i'll get vista as it must be best right?

Reaction score
I asked 3bsystems about your spec and they said

"just looking @ this u hav chosen an entry level m/b with onboard vg & then wantr a vga card , also a non branded PSU ??"

what do i say to that? he asked me if i want him to price that up or something reliable based around that price.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well that build would be completely reliable, there is nothing wrong with putting a graphics card on a motherboard that already has onboard graphics, and the xilience power supply is branded and they are cheap but very reliable.

Its upto you that build was just a suggestion.

Ask him why it wouldn't be reliable?

Reaction score
Here is the build he sent me,what do you think?

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 64 bit Ghz

Build System Build ,OS Install ,Driver install
Case Antec 300
PSU Corsair 520 Gaming PSU (3 X 12 vrails,Directx 10 Ready, Sli approved)
M Board ASUS P5NE-SLi
CPU Core2quad Q6600 s775 1066 8 mb 64bit +fan
Cpufan Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
RaM cORSAIR 4gb (2x2 GB) Twinx xms2 DDR2 800
H Drive 500Gb 7200 Sata 11 with 16mb cache hard drive
VGA Card Xvision (nvidia approved) 512mb DDR2Geforce N8600gts (16Xpci-x)vga
Fd/Drive 32 in 1 card Reader
S/card Integrated
Dvdrv LiteOn Litescribe Sata 20x +/- D.L with s/ware
O.S. Vista home Premium 64bit OEM with DVD License
Network Integrated

£497.87
vat £87.13
total £585

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah is a good build mate, but its starting to get a bit exspensive, don't you think?

Is really upto you as its your money but £585 is pretty steep, plus that 8600GTS they are gonna put in is the one with older DDR2 memory and is way way way overpriced.

If i were you i would get the first build that you posted with the intel Q6600, get them to put the Corsair 520 PSU in and buy a graphics card yourself and put it in.

That is is what i would do but again its entirely upto you.

Reaction score
"plus that 8600GTS they are gonna put in is the one with older DDR2 memory and is way way way overpriced."

is there an alternative i could ask for with the rest of that build.

oh, and i payed £585 for my last computer so not really fussed about the price.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah there are plenty of alternatives but you are gonna pay too much for all of them,

8600GT make sure its a DDR3 version
9500/9600GT

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It will be faster processing the information, no point at all getting a DDR2 graphics card on a nice new PC.

The reason i posted the 8600GTS was that it is very cheap at the moment for a 256MB version and this will do you fine, however firms who build PC most likely won't stock this card, only the bigger 512MB more exspensive versions.

Reaction score
I'm fairly happy with the rest of the build so shall i say swop

xvision DDR2Geforce N8600Gts for a 8600GT DDR3 (i don't need to give them any more detail than that do i)?

How will that effect the price?

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If they are swopping the 8600GTS DDR2 for a 8600GT 512MB DDR3 then the price should drop by about £25-30 perhaps.

Reaction score
and that will be better performance and cheaper price?

Am i asking
8600GT 512MB DDR3 or is it 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 or are they the same

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay, the 8600GTS is basically the same as a 8600GT but it runs at higher speeds which means it will give better performance.

the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is that DDR3 will process information about 1.5 times faster than DDR2.

A 8600GTS DDR2 will still be faster than 8600GT DDR3 but not enough to justify the much higher price.

I feel i may have confused the issue here an apologise if i have.

If they have them ask about a 9500GT this is the new version of the 8600GT and is relatively cheap for the performance gains, about £55.

It should be cheaper than getting an 8600GTS and should out perform it as it is newer technology.

But if you are getting a PC built by a company then the prices are down to them really as they have to make a profit, i added up the last PC you posted that cost £585, just to show the difference in price you could build that yourself for about £100 less.

If you live in the Midlands buy the parts you need and i will come and build your PC for free.

Reaction score
I said

I've just been told by someone that N8600GTS thats being put in is the one with older DDR2 memory and is way way way overpriced and no point at all getting a DDR2 graphics card on a nice new PC.

How about 9500GT

What do you think about this please?

He Said

if i were u i'd go for the 9800GT 512Mb add £27

What do you think?

Reaction score
DaveP2 said:
I said

I've just been told by someone that N8600GTS thats being put in is the one with older DDR2 memory and is way way way overpriced and no point at all getting a DDR2 graphics card on a nice new PC.

How about 9500GT

What do you think about this please?

He Said

if i were u i'd go for the 9800GT 512Mb add £27

What do you think?

I would agree you don't want to put a DDR2 card in a nice new pc. I would go for the 9800GT 512Mb. If you are going to use it for gaming them I would go for the 9800GT, games are getting more powerful now and require a bigger and faster GFX card to play them.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,i was reading about the card and am slightly unsure what to do,i won't use the pc for gaming.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully we can clear this up, i saw in your first post that you didn't mention gaming, so you don't need a big graphics card,

however

I think it is a good idea if your are gonna use your new PC heavily that you get a decent low-mid range graphics cards.

They are not just for playing games, alot of applications require a decent graphics card, and it will only help to you to get the longest life possible out of your PC.

The people you are getting your PC from are just like anyone from any company they want you to spend more money, i am just trying to get you to get the best possible deal.

A 8600GT or 9500GT will do you just fine. Be firm with them tell them want you want.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
9500GT will do you just fine if no gaming.

Hell, that card will run just about any game released pre-2007 anyway, which is still a huge choice of games, most of which from that time are available on budget.

The most graphic intensive software you're liable to use would be video editing and the 9500GT will cope with that admirably.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Waynos_Face and for your offer to build it for me.

I've decided to buy it from them with the 9500gt 512mb ,i'll let them build it and get it delievered.

I've learnt afew new things along the way,also thanks to others who contributed to the thread aswell.

Ask a Question