Buying a CD/DVD drive

John Doe

Is there anything to be concerned about, or will any type of
CD/DVD burner work okay? In other words... Are there any
innovations/capabilities that should be considered?

John Doe

Is there a way to avoid having to use a new recordable CD every time
you have to burn an ISO file for booting or whatever?

Thanks.

John Doe

Grinder said:
I generally look for Lightscribe capability, which is a
mechanism to "burn" labels on specially designed discs.

Thanks for the info.
3) The label is monochromatic, and not very high contrast. Also
true, but mitigated by picking uncomplicated, high contrast
sources--like a line of text.

I think some of my CDs use that technology for the label.
Even with all of those limitations, I find that Lightscribe is a
decent way to make a professionally labeled disc without having
to slap a sticker on the thing.

Anything is better than sticking a label on a lightweight object
that is not well secured and is rotating at very high speeds. I
have always been alarmed whenever someone talked about sticking a
label on a CD-ROM, and avoided any products made by a company that
would sell such potentially hazardous labels. Not likely cause
personal injury, but who needs junk flying around inside of their
CD-ROM drive.

Paul

Grinder said:
You can use CD-RW discs, which are erasable and consequently reusable.

That's if you can find some. At my local stores, I buy DVD+RW
and burn CD sized images on them. Nero doesn't always want to
do that for me, so I have to switch to another burning application.

I've had better luck with the rewritable DVDs so far, than with
the rewritable CDs I used to use. I was getting about one
usage from the rewritable CDs, before they became flaky.
They're 100% dead now. But the DVD sized ones I got, are
still good. Not a flake yet.

Paul

RayLopez99

You can use CD-RW discs, which are erasable and consequently reusable.

You can also, if you are daring, write to hard drive disk to imitate
an ISO file. I had a program for that that I used once or twice, but
for some reason, compatibility or somesuch, I found it did not always
work and gave up.

RL

Loren Pechtel

Is there a way to avoid having to use a new recordable CD every time
you have to burn an ISO file for booting or whatever?

Thanks.

Use a RW disk.

Charlie Hoffpauir

You can also, if you are daring, write to hard drive disk to imitate
an ISO file. I had a program for that that I used once or twice, but
for some reason, compatibility or somesuch, I found it did not always
work and gave up.

RL

I routinely use that for CDs that I tend to access frequently. I do
genealogy, and I have two CDs that I seem to need to use every day, so
I created an ISO image of each, and put that on my data hard drive. I
use a program called DAEMON Tools Lite to access the images. What it
does is treat each image as a separate CD-drive, so I then access it
just like I had two CD ROM drives with one CD in each.

John Doe

I routinely use that for CDs that I tend to access frequently. I
do genealogy, and I have two CDs that I seem to need to use
every day, so I created an ISO image of each, and put that on my
data hard drive. I use a program called DAEMON Tools Lite to
access the images. What it does is treat each image as a
separate CD-drive, so I then access it just like I had two CD
ROM drives with one CD in each.

Except for booting purposes.

RayLopez99

I routinely use that for CDs that I tend to access frequently. I do
genealogy, and I have two CDs that I seem to need to use every day, so
I created an ISO image of each, and put that on my data hard drive. I
use a program called DAEMON Tools Lite to access the images. What it
does is treat each image as a separate CD-drive, so I then access it
just like I had two CD ROM drives with one CD in each.

That's pretty cool. I'll bookmark DAEMON tools for such "copy
protection defeating" purposes.

RL

PeeCee

"John Doe" wrote in message

Is there anything to be concerned about, or will any type of
CD/DVD burner work okay? In other words... Are there any
innovations/capabilities that should be considered?

John

CD/DVD burners are pretty much a commodity item these days meaning they all
give much the same results.
As for brands, have a look what your largest local OEM uses (mine uses LG
and I've no complaints)
Only significant issue I've noticed lately is LiteOns seem more sensitive to
disk balance.
Lightscribe, is up to you, personally I just use bulk silo's of white
pintable's and a felt tip pen.
That way when I have to produce a neat and tidy Disc I can give it the full
colour treatment to impress the client.

As others have indicated use a ReWriteable disc when burning an ISO that
will only be used briefly.
When you've finished with any particular disk, just right click it and
'erase' it to make it equal to a blank CDR.

Best
Paul