Burning CDs and DVDs

Ian and Jane Fielder

I have a IDE dvd burner (which can also burn CDs) and a SCSI CD burner.

By going to the properties of these drives in My Computer, I find that I can
enable one or the other (but not both at the same time) as CD recorders. I
can then use the in-built Windows XP Home procedures to copy files on to CD.

I have some third party DVD authoring software and the accessories folder
includes movie-maker software. These seem to be suited only to making
movies.

How can I use the dvd burner in a simple drag and drop way to save files? Is
this possible in Win XP native or do I need Nero or similar software?

Kind regards

Ian

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP does not have a built-in DVD recording program.
You'll need to install a third-party program such as Nero:
http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| I have a IDE dvd burner (which can also burn CDs) and a SCSI CD burner.
|
| By going to the properties of these drives in My Computer, I find that I can
| enable one or the other (but not both at the same time) as CD recorders. I
| can then use the in-built Windows XP Home procedures to copy files on to CD.
|
| I have some third party DVD authoring software and the accessories folder
| includes movie-maker software. These seem to be suited only to making
| movies.
|
| How can I use the dvd burner in a simple drag and drop way to save files? Is
| this possible in Win XP native or do I need Nero or similar software?
|
| Kind regards
|
| Ian

John Ski

Subject: Burning CDs and DVDs
From: "Ian and Jane Fielder" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/20/2004 11:27 AM Eastern Standard Time

I have a IDE dvd burner (which can also burn CDs) and a SCSI CD burner.

By going to the properties of these drives in My Computer, I find that I can
enable one or the other (but not both at the same time) as CD recorders. I
can then use the in-built Windows XP Home procedures to copy files on to CD.

I have some third party DVD authoring software and the accessories folder
includes movie-maker software. These seem to be suited only to making
movies.

How can I use the dvd burner in a simple drag and drop way to save files? Is
this possible in Win XP native or do I need Nero or similar software?

Kind regards

Ian
Nero InCD supports drag and drop to a DVD+RW if your drive supports the Mt.
Ranier Format.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Alex Nichol

Ian said:
By going to the properties of these drives in My Computer, I find that I can
enable one or the other (but not both at the same time) as CD recorders. I
can then use the in-built Windows XP Home procedures to copy files on to CD.

I have some third party DVD authoring software and the accessories folder
includes movie-maker software. These seem to be suited only to making
movies.

How can I use the dvd burner in a simple drag and drop way to save files? Is
this possible in Win XP native or do I need Nero or similar software?

You would need one of the third party 'packet writing' packages - InCD
(with Nero); Drag to Disk (with Easy CD Creator from Roxio), or I rather
suggest DLA, now available from
http://www.sonic.com/products/dla/features.asp
at $19.99 which does not require you to buy a 'mastering' program as
well. It works nicely with a DVD burner. I have even used it
successfully to support output from NTBackup (though it says it won't -
probably because NTBackup does not support 'spanning' of disks - a DVD
though holds quite a lot). It only allows one drive to be 'Used with
DLA' at any time, but it is very easy to switch over