Nigel Brooks

Hi folks

I'm building a new computer

ASUS P5n32 sli motherboard
Intel Core Duo E6600 processor
Maxtor Sata 300 gig drive
EVGA GE Force 7950 dual GPU
2 1024 mbs of DDR2 800mhz memory
I'll also be using some of the old hardware from my other system

My question is this:

My old system was an Pentium 2.4 by Dell about 5 years old. I'd like to be
able to use my old harddrive and transfer the OS (Win XP) along with all of
the applications. Over the years I've accumulated a bunch of applications
and upgraded by downloading the updates - I just don't have all of the
original disks - although I routinely back up my boot drive with Acronis
True Image on a weekly basis.
If I use either Acronis or the Maxtor Maxblast program to transfer
everything to the new SATA drive what are the chances it will work in the
new system? I read somewhere that it might work if I transfer everything to
the new SATA - then boot up with the WINXP disk and do a repair install.

Or should I just put the WinXP Os on the new system then use something like
Aloha Bobs to transfer all of the applications from the old hard drive.

I'd appreciate any advise - thanks

Rod Speed

Nigel Brooks said:
I'm building a new computer

Too radical.
ASUS P5n32 sli motherboard
Intel Core Duo E6600 processor
Maxtor Sata 300 gig drive
EVGA GE Force 7950 dual GPU
2 1024 mbs of DDR2 800mhz memory
I'll also be using some of the old hardware from my other system
My question is this:
My old system was an Pentium 2.4 by Dell about 5 years old. I'd like
to be able to use my old harddrive and transfer the OS (Win XP) along
with all of the applications. Over the years I've accumulated a bunch
of applications and upgraded by downloading the updates - I just
don't have all of the original disks - although I routinely back up
my boot drive with Acronis True Image on a weekly basis.
If I use either Acronis or the Maxtor Maxblast program to transfer everything to the new SATA
drive

TI is much better for that.
what are the chances it will work in the new system?

It wont work straight away, essentially because the chipset
has changed substantially. You will need to do a repair install
to load the drivers for the new chipset. That will work fine.
I read somewhere that it might work if I transfer everything to the new SATA - then boot up with
the WINXP disk and do a repair install.

Certain to work.
Or should I just put the WinXP Os on the new system then use something like Aloha Bobs to transfer
all of the applications from the old hard drive.

No, the repair install is a much better approach,
essentially because it keeps all the XP settings etc.

johns

You will get data corruption doing that, and
you will cripple the performance of your new
system. Software that old has lots of wrong
headed assumptions about memory maps,
and you will get constant errors "can't read
instruction at xxxxxxx". If you had a zip
drive in the old system, that will try to talk
to both of your SATA drives in a polling mode,
and drag them down. Get ready for some long
waits looking at your hour-glass. On a system
as quick as the one you are building, I would
plan on all new software .. written in the last
year. It is worth it, just to see that 7950 get
up and do its stuff.

johns

Rod Speed

johns said:
You will get data corruption doing that,
Nope.

and you will cripple the performance of your new system.
Nope.

Software that old has lots of wrong headed assumptions
about memory maps, and you will get constant errors
can't read instruction at xxxxxxx".
Nope.

If you had a zip drive in the old system, that will try to talk to
both of your SATA drives in a polling mode, and drag them down.
Nope.

Get ready for some long waits looking at your hour-glass.
Nope.

On a system as quick as the one you are building, I
would plan on all new software .. written in the last year.

Have fun finding that with the mainstream apps.
It is worth it, just to see that 7950 get up and do its stuff.

Waste of time, he'll have horsepower to burn.

SteveH

Rod Speed said:
Too radical.

TI is much better for that.

It wont work straight away, essentially because the chipset
has changed substantially. You will need to do a repair install
to load the drivers for the new chipset. That will work fine.

Certain to work.

No, the repair install is a much better approach,
essentially because it keeps all the XP settings etc.
Nonsense, a repair install is NOT guaranteed to work, and in this case as
the difference is so great, the o/p would do much better to do a clean
install.

SteveH

Nigel Brooks

SteveH said:
Nonsense, a repair install is NOT guaranteed to work, and in this case as
the difference is so great, the o/p would do much better to do a clean
install.

SteveH

Well what the heck.

I'll try it with the repair install first.

I figure as long as I don't screw around with my original hard drive and
have a backup - I can always try other things.

1. Clone the original drive to the new drive and repair install
if that doesn't work
2. Do a new install of the Operating System to the new computer then try to
migrate all of the applications and settings from the old drive using Aloha
Bob's relocator

SteveH

Rod Speed said:
Have fun finding that with the mainstream apps.

Waste of time, he'll have horsepower to burn.
For once, I agree with Johns. What is the point of putting together a high
spec PC of that sort and then crippling it by copying over the old registry
etc.
While you can indeed probably get it working with a repair install, it WILL
NOT work as well as a clean install.
While the o/p may have 'horsepower to burn', why waste any of that
horsepower with a bodge-up?

SteveH

Rod Speed

Nonsense,

We'll see...
a repair install is NOT guaranteed to work,

It is in when the only change is the motherboard detail.
and in this case as the difference is so great, the o/p would do much better to do a clean
install.

Wrong, as always. I bet there wouldnt be any different in the result whatever.

Because the repair install starts over from scratch
and just preserves the settings and apps etc.

DaveW

If you want to avoid endless hours of Registry errors and data
corruption-Whenever you change the motherboard that is used with a harddrive
that has a prior installation of XP installed: ALWAYS reformat the
harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.

Rod Speed

Well what the heck.
I'll try it with the repair install first.
I figure as long as I don't screw around with my original hard drive and have a backup - I can
always try other things.

Yeah, and with that collection of hardware you
can even rigorously test Steve's claim too.

Do a clean install of XP on the new drive
and use Aloha Bobs to get the apps across.

Then do the clone and the repair install and see
how well that works compared with the clean install.

Bet you keep the clone/repair install.

Rod Speed

For once, I agree with Johns.

More fool you.
What is the point of putting together a high spec PC of that sort and then crippling it by copying
over the old registry etc.

You arent crippling anything.
While you can indeed probably get it working with a repair install,

Corse you can, that's what its there for and has never
failed to work when putting a hard drive into a new system.
it WILL NOT work as well as a clean install.

Easy to claim, bet he wont get that result if he trys both alternatives.
While the o/p may have 'horsepower to burn', why waste any of that horsepower with a bodge-up?

Because you aint established that there will be any waste.

In spades with his mindlessly silly claim about the apps.

johns

Old Microsoft Apps have hard coded memory maps.
Call Microsoft and ask them. Iomega polling conflicts
with XP SP2 HAL. Again, call MS and ask about that.
I already did a few dozen times, and I simply will
not do that kind of OS install anymore.

johns

Rod Speed

johns said:
Old Microsoft Apps have hard coded memory maps.

You dont know that he is running any of those.
Call Microsoft and ask them.

Dont need to.
Iomega polling conflicts with XP SP2 HAL.

You dont know he has any of their products either.
Again, call MS and ask about that.

Dont need to.
I already did a few dozen times, and I simply
will not do that kind of OS install anymore.

Your hangups are your problem.

I've done it countless times and its always worked fine.

Rod Speed

DaveW said:
If you want to avoid endless hours of Registry errors and data
corruption-Whenever you change the motherboard that is used with a harddrive that has a prior
installation of XP installed: ALWAYS reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.

Have fun explaining how come I have never seen
a single registry error or any data corruption
what so ever over countless repair installs.

And in his situation with a new hard drive, no risk
whatever in trying a repair install and see how it goes.

Nigel Brooks

johns said:
Old Microsoft Apps have hard coded memory maps.
Call Microsoft and ask them. Iomega polling conflicts
with XP SP2 HAL. Again, call MS and ask about that.
I already did a few dozen times, and I simply will
not do that kind of OS install anymore.

johns

I'm really not sure what you are speaking about because I'm using XP-Sp2
already on the old computer (the 2.4 pentium IV)

Everything works just fine - I'm simply building a new computer with new
motherboard to support the brand new Intel processor which just came out
recently, and adding a new graphics card, and a new hard drive.

It seems to me that the only thing the os needs to do is to recognize all of
the new hardware, and I don't see why the applications won't work.

John Doe

Rod Speed said:
Have fun explaining how come I have never seen
a single registry error or any data corruption
what so ever over countless repair installs.

Easier than explaining why you are a hyperactive troll (apparently
you need attention, but who knows).

Doing a clean install of Windows has always been the preferred
method. Microsoft has never and will never take care of the details.
That's why there are registry cleaning programs that find lots of
junk in the registry.
And in his situation with a new hard drive, no risk
whatever in trying a repair install and see how it goes.

As long as he has backup copies of important files and doesn't mind
the waste of time.

John Doe

Nigel Brooks said:
I'm really not sure what you are speaking about because I'm using
XP-Sp2 already on the old computer (the 2.4 pentium IV)

Everything works just fine - I'm simply building a new computer
with new motherboard to support the brand new Intel processor
which just came out recently, and adding a new graphics card, and
a new hard drive.

It seems to me that the only thing the os needs to do is to
recognize all of the new hardware, and I don't see why the
applications won't work.

But you really have no clue, that's why you are asking.

The preferred method for doing a mainboard upgrade has always been
to reinstall Windows. I have spent 10,000 hours playing with
Windows. Since Windows 3.1, I have reinstalled the various flavors
hundreds of times. Windows has gotten better at recognizing
hardware, but Windows still does stupid things and I wouldn't waste
my time hoping it will act smart. Microsoft has never been good
with the details (utilities) maybe mostly out of carelessness.

But of course you can do whatever you feel like doing with your
computer. Just make sure you have removable media backup copies of
important files.

Rod Speed

But you really have no clue, that's why you are asking.

He's clearly got plenty of clues and is just asking about that detail.
The preferred method for doing a mainboard
upgrade has always been to reinstall Windows.

More fool you. Its a complete waste of time with XP.
I have spent 10,000 hours playing with Windows. Since Windows
3.1, I have reinstalled the various flavors hundreds of times.

Irrelevant to what is best with XP.
Windows has gotten better at recognizing
hardware, but Windows still does stupid things

In his situation it makes sense to try the repair install
and see if XP does in fact do anything stupid at all.

He can always do the clean install if the repair install doesnt
go properly and can do the clean install first and decide for
himself if the repair install works just as well, and if it does,
he doesnt have to fart around moving the apps across etc.
and I wouldn't waste my time hoping it will act smart.

More fool you when its so easy to check if the repair install has worked fine.
Microsoft has never been good with the details
(utilities) maybe mostly out of carelessness.

More mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.
But of course you can do whatever you feel like doing with your computer.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?
Just make sure you have removable
media backup copies of important files.

He doesnt even need to do that since he is installing it on
a new drive. He can keep the old drive for a while to check
that it doesnt all go pear shaped in the first few months etc.

Rod Speed

Easier than explaining why you are a hyperactive troll

Like I said, you wouldnt know what a troll was if it bit you on your lard arse.
(apparently you need attention, but who knows).

Corse that couldnt possibly apply to you eh ?
Doing a clean install of Windows has always been the preferred method.

Only by the pig ignorant fools who havent
even tried a repair install to see how it goes.
Microsoft has never and will never take care of the details.

Easy to claim, wanker.
That's why there are registry cleaning programs
that find lots of junk in the registry.

Wrong again, they are for the situation where the
app uninstall doesnt clean up properly for itself.
As long as he has backup copies of important files

Corse he has when the new system has a new hard
drive, he has the original hard drive for backup, stupid.
and doesn't mind the waste of time.

Its your clean install that wastes his time when the repair install
works just as well and he cant easily reinstall the apps now.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

John Doe

Troll

From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Building new computer
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:49:00 +1000

John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote
Nigel Brooks <nbrooks msn.com> wrote