Buffalo DriveStation - PCI SATA?

Arno Wagner

Previously Rob Nicholson said:
I'm looking at one of these:

It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter. Is PCI enough for SATA drives? Most
of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X or
PCI-Express for better throughout.
Cheers, Rob.

What do you mean by "enough"?

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

Rob Nicholson wrote in news:[email protected]
It comes with a PCI eSATA host adapter.
Is PCI enough for SATA drives?

What PCI would that be:
32-bit 33MHz, 32-bit 66MHz, 64-bit 33MHz or 64-bit 66MHz?
Most of the other eSATA multi-port host adapters I've seen are PCI-X
or PCI-Express for better throughout.

Which you don't actually know, so you made that up.

Folkert Rienstra

Rob Nicholson wrote in news:[email protected]
Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus

(64 bit)
Nonsense.

versus PCI-E (serial).

Cheers, Rob.
PS. Moot anyway as we've ended up with a Dell XPS which is HUGE but has lots
of SATA bays inside.

Once again proving how most questions here are often exercises in trolling.

Rob Nicholson

Fast enough, e.g. PCI-32 bit versus PCI-X (64 bit) versus PCI-E (serial).
Still unclear.

Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for
four drive eSATA systems...

Arno Wagner

Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for
four drive eSATA systems...

Yes, but fast enough for what? Fast enough to work? Yes. Fast enough
to saturate the SATA bus? No. Fast enough to run application XYZ?
Depends on the application. ....

Arno

Arno Wagner

Yes, but fast enough for what? Fast enough to work? Yes. Fast enough
to saturate the SATA bus? No. Fast enough to run application XYZ?
^^^ That should be a "depends"

Arno

Eric Gisin

Rob Nicholson said:
Err, why?? Is the PCI-32 bit fast enough (I'll swap the words around) for four drive eSATA
systems...

Fast enough for any activity on one drive, or random I/O on all.
You will notice slowdown if you copy large files between drives.

Rob Nicholson

Fast enough for any activity on one drive, or random I/O on all.
You will notice slowdown if you copy large files between drives.

I guess this depends how port multipliers work in eSata environments which
will tend to be RAID at some level, possibly just stripped. It's possible
that a file could be stripped across four drives so four read operations
could be running at once thus attempting to feed 4x data down the single
eSATA port multiplier lead to the controller card.

The main reason I asked is that most eSata port multiplier cards are NOT
just PCI-32, they are PCI-X or PCIe.

Cheers, Rob.