browser suggestions

Dallas

i finally switched to opera last week as i can get into my banks site from
there, but already, i see issues with this browser.
one thing, when i save the sessions so i dont have to redo everything, it
never saves it, & instead, it always has 2 of their own tabs listed, even
tho' i close them out in the prior session; one is for turbo & the other is
their home page

maxthon is no longer a great alternative since its ie based, so any
suggestions on a reliable browser ?

many thanks as always

Tom Willett

Firefox.

:
: maxthon is no longer a great alternative since its ie based, so any
: suggestions on a reliable browser ?
:
: many thanks as always
:
: --
: Dallas.....
:
: Dell P 4, 3GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 160 GB, Win XP Home
: 16X DVD-ROM & ,6X DVD+/RW, IE7, OE6, DSL, via AT&T
:
:
:

Dallas

sorry Singapore Computer Service as i thought it was a general basics query
since we all use browsers.

Tom Willett

This actually is a Windows XP O/S newsgroup, not a browser newsgroup. And,
it's a Microsoft newsgroup.

: sorry Singapore Computer Service as i thought it was a general basics
query
: since we all use browsers.
:
: --
: Dallas.....
:
: Dell P 4, 3GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 160 GB, Win XP Home
: 16X DVD-ROM & ,6X DVD+/RW, IE7, OE6, DSL, via AT&T
:
:
: "Singapore Computer Service" <[email protected]>
: wrote in message : > Hello,
: >
: > With regards to your Opera problem, you may want to ask in the Opera
: > forums instead
: > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/
: >
: > Regards,
: > Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
: > http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
: > Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
: > http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
: > : >>i finally switched to opera last week as i can get into my banks site
from
: >>there, but already, i see issues with this browser.
: >> one thing, when i save the sessions so i dont have to redo everything,
it
: >> never saves it, & instead, it always has 2 of their own tabs listed,
even
: >> tho' i close them out in the prior session; one is for turbo & the
other
: >> is their home page
: >>
: >> maxthon is no longer a great alternative since its ie based, so any
: >> suggestions on a reliable browser ?
: >>
: >> many thanks as always
: >>
: >> --
: >> Dallas.....
: >>
: >> Dell P 4, 3GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 160 GB, Win XP Home
: >> 16X DVD-ROM & ,6X DVD+/RW, IE7, OE6, DSL, via AT&T
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >
: >
:
:

Dallas

i know that but it does say basic & we have to use browsers within; not a
big deal - people don't have to read it

Daave

Two separate things:

1. You posted an off-topic (albeit acceptable) question asking people to
recommend a browser. Nothing wrong with that. Opera and Firefox are both
popular alternatives to IE. Another good one (although not as popular)
is K-Meleon:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

2. Singapore Computer Service recommended (as did I in another post)
that if you want to resovle your Opera problem (perhaps you don't; maybe
you just don't like it and plan on uninstalling it...), you will have
the highest chance of success posting to an Opera forum or newsgroup
since those people are most familiar with the browser and its quirks and
problems.

Ken Blake, MVP

Two separate things:

1. You posted an off-topic (albeit acceptable) question asking people to
recommend a browser. Nothing wrong with that. Opera and Firefox are both
popular alternatives to IE. Another good one (although not as popular)
is K-Meleon:

I'll recommend a different one, also free, that I personally like
considerably better than any of those: Maxthon 2.0

Daave

I'll recommend a different one, also free, that I personally like
considerably better than any of those: Maxthon 2.0

I've heard good things about Maxthon. However, Dallas was having issues
with IE that were never resoved. And since Maxthon is a shell for IE, I
believe he wanted to try another browser so that he could do his online
banking. (Actually, I just scanned the thread again; he had tried
Maxthon unsuccessfully.) Personally, I would have preferred that he
found a solution so we could learn what the issue was. I wouldn't be
surprised if the fault was with the bank. In case you have the
inclination:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ad/48ab58a36239189c/3c782907bcf645cc?hl=en&q=

The issue was Javascript-related (despite the Subject Line). Adding to
the confusion was the tech guy at the bank who apparently ignored the
Javascript problem and had him install Java:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/msg/c41af6f438c029c1?hl=en

Dallas

sorry daave as i didnt see your other post yet, but i want to try another
one unless they are worse than opera. another issue i have with opera is its
doing a lot of the thing where iot says it has encounterd a problem & needs
to close. so i have yet to try firefox. thanks. i guess i get a little edgy
when i see a lot of other issues, that technically not windows basic
germane, yet are not addressed to post it in another ng, i.e. fonts, ye
yext, oe8, excel & i never see posts as these & many othes, called out to
not post there, or this is not the proper ng, etc. thatrs why i never
complain when i see those - i have a choice; either read it or pass it by,
not a big thing & maybe in some cases, i, or anyone, might see something
that may help them, even tho' iot's not techinally supposed to be here.

thanks again

Dallas

thanks ken as i too liked that, but in another post for a few weeks back, i
started to have issues in that i could not access my bank site using ie &
maxthon 2 - still have no resolution on that but i liked maxthon 2 a lot,
sans that one, but important to me, issue.

thanks again ken

Daave

Most people here have no problem whatsoever with your asking for
recommendations. :) Firefox is decent, but it does have its own issues
(as does *any* browser). As you saw, I suggested K-Meleon, which is a
nice alternative.

I was just pointing out that in the event you wanted to solve any
Opera-related problems, you'd have better luck posting to a place that
is inhabited wholly by Opera users.

Ken Blake, MVP

thanks ken as i too liked that, but in another post for a few weeks back, i
started to have issues in that i could not access my bank site using ie &
maxthon 2 - still have no resolution on that but i liked maxthon 2 a lot,
sans that one, but important to me, issue.

OK, sorry--to you and Daave. I hadn't seen (or had forgotten) the
earlier message and wasn't aware of your inability to access your
bank's site.

Have you contacted the bank? They may have a technical support person
who can help you with your problem.

Roy Smith

Dallas said:
i know that but it does say basic & we have to use browsers within; not a
big deal - people don't have to read it

Right, it does say basic. Ok, so what browser comes with Windows XP?

Tom Willett

Would you please be kind enough to give me a basic chili recipe? I know it's
probably OT, but I can't imagine Googling or asking in a cooking forum. Too
much trouble. I know you've probably had some chili in the past.

: Dallas wrote:
: > i know that but it does say basic & we have to use browsers within; not
: > big deal - people don't have to read it
:
: Right, it does say basic. Ok, so what browser comes with Windows XP?
:
: --
:
: Roy Smith
: Windows XP Pro SP3

Dallas

ken, no problem & thanks & yes, i did & he couldn't help me - he says it's
my machine, i say it's them as i had used their site for years & one day, it
arbitrarily gave me an error message re: javascript having an issue. so he
contacted the software co. & has yet to hear back.

thanks again

--

Ken Blake said:
thanks ken as i too liked that, but in another post for a few weeks back,
started to have issues in that i could not access my bank site using ie &
maxthon 2 - still have no resolution on that but i liked maxthon 2 a lot,
sans that one, but important to me, issue.

OK, sorry--to you and Daave. I hadn't seen (or had forgotten) the
earlier message and wasn't aware of your inability to access your
bank's site.

Have you contacted the bank? They may have a technical support person
who can help you with your problem.

Dallas

thank you daave & i understand & will save this in case the next browser
cannot access my bank site either. thanks again

Dallas

and what of all the other posts that are really not germane to here either ?
i never see anyone, you as well, harping them. and again, if someone thinks
i am off posting, he or she doesn't have to read it, right ?

Dallas

actually not for a long time tom, thank you as i have neck/throat cancer &
can't have it - next ?!