Windows XP Browser Problem... HELP!!!

Reaction score
I don’t foresee any problems as long as you let it run without interruption GO off-line while you do it, and have your disk to hand. I will be online for another hour good luck.;)

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back. Wow. Every things is F$#% up!! I think my video driver needs to be re-installed. Everything looks like an Acid trip. Not sure where to start. I tried my browser again and it still doesn't work. So, I'm worst off now...

No blaming, I thank everyone for their attempt to help.

Reaction score
Alrighty, I'm back again. I'm now using firefox as my browser. Very quick. Much quicker than Internet Explorer. However the same problem still exists. I've looked at the internet options and can't seem to find anything wrong.

By the way, my automatic update re-installed SP2. And, yes the browser problem was still there before the re-install as well as afterwards.

If anyone out there has any ideas on how to fix my problem, I will be very greatfull.

Thanks,

Reaction score
aikidoforever said:
Alrighty, I'm back again. I'm now using firefox as my browser. Very quick. Much quicker than Internet Explorer.
Ok

Now that you have come back and if you had stayed online yesterday, I would have taken you through the rest of the set up,

You have allowed SP2 to set up again??? That is what I was going to tell you NOT to do turn off automatic update. But that is to late now.

Anyway, have you JavaScript enabled if not do this click the link below and follow the instructions.

https://answers.suntrust.com/knowbase/root/public/snbb17003.htm?TOPNAME=Browser+Support

If you do a restore of any type you MUST reinstall the required DRIVERS.

Have patience.

;)

Reaction score
itsme said:
aikidoforever said:
Alrighty, I'm back again. I'm now using firefox as my browser. Very quick. Much quicker than Internet Explorer.
Ok

Now that you have come back and if you had stayed online yesterday, I would have taken you through the rest of the set up,

You have allowed SP2 to set up again??? That is what I was going to tell you NOT to do turn off automatic update. But that is to late now.

Anyway, have you JavaScript enabled if not do this click the link below and follow the instructions.

https://answers.suntrust.com/knowbase/root/public/snbb17003.htm?TOPNAME=Browser+Support

If you do a restore of any type you MUST reinstall the required DRIVERS.

Have patience.

;)

The way I see it is once I realized that SP2 wasn't the cause of the problem, why not let it re-install?

I've followed the link and my internet options were already set to this config.

Any other ideas??

Thanks.

Reaction score
If the settings are correct then why is it not working, I have been on the site you have trouble with and it is fine [I have several PC s some have SP1 some have SP2] Your XP disk does it have SP1 on it?

Reaction score
I'm assuming my XP disk has SP1 on it.

I've been on the same website with other computers (friends) without problems. It obviously works. What is so frustrating is that it use to work on mine as well...

Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Ok now read the replies in the link below:(

This has happened to many people [including myself], for some reason known only to MS. Read this http://www.download.com/Windows-XP-Service-Pack-2/3640-2098_4-10308947.html?sb=3&v=0

What I did was saved whatever I could, did what I told you to do [uninstall SP2]. I then reinstalled XP with SP1, which was on the CD; install all the necessary DRIVERS and most importantly STOP AUTOMATIC update. when up and running, I disabled automatic update, and set it to notify me of updates before down loading, now the first thing Windows update tries to do is install XP SP2 it will ask, don’t let it install, it will ask you on a number of occasions just DON’T be tempted to let it install????????.
install all the other updates but NOT SP2
The PC I did that on is still running perfectly.:thumb: some 18 months ago.

Reaction score
GOOD unless you have a CD with SP2 a lot of people have problems.

let me know if you get stuck;)

Reaction score
Well sp2 does cause problens at times

to make it work more effeciently withoput causing hassels with the drivers i would suggest you get the cd and install it in safe mode and that should do it.

And yes you will be able to install it in safe mode.

Reaction score
looks like a simple issue you just seen to have errors viewing certain sites in the IE

try following this

go to the address bar and type regsvr32.notlong.com

download the file and run it ( it is a compressed batch file )

it would automatically reregister 22 files related to the ie 9 Just click on the ok each time to procees to the next file )

after that restart the system and then delete c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and there delete all files that have hosts and lmhosts and hosts calender in them and restart the system again and let me know if that resolved it or not

Ask a Question