Broadband for Beginners

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be able to get broadband soon.
icon7.gif

I have only one computer but may wish to use in various parts of the house at different times. I do not wish to have lots of rewiring done to accomodate this so is a router the answer? (Remember, you are replying to someone with limited computer knowledge)

Does anyone know of a website or even a thread in this Forum which will give me (VERY) basic info on broadband and routers. I did find a couple of threads on the subject but I have not found them very useful and they are a bit long in the tooth now - one in 2005 and one in 2006. I expect things have changed quite a bit since then. The sites I looked at on the net only seemed to give highly technical information but I need something much simpler.

If a router is the answer I need to know how to set the whole thing up so any basic info would be a great help.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:

Wow V_R, that's the fastest reply I've ever had. Thanks for your help. The website certainly answers a lot of the questions. Do you think that a router is what I need? I assume it means no wiring required.

And also, I use Talk Talk for my phone and they bill me for the line usage but is it still a BT line ( which seems neccessary according to the website)

Another thing I've heard about is Wireless Cards. Will I need these?

Thanks once more.

Reaction score
this is the site I went to buy my very first router:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/

it has got a lot of information on there

depending on your setup you might need a wireless card. I would strongly reccomend buying Netgear equipment.
Remember the name Netgear,

good luck

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Wow V_R, that's the fastest reply I've ever had. Thanks for your help. The website certainly answers a lot of the questions. Do you think that a router is what I need? I assume it means no wiring required.
LOL, i just know where to look. :D
Router is definitely the way to go. I got my Speedtouch 585v6 from here. It was a B Grade, but you wouldn't know it, and i can recommend the 585v6 all the way. Broadband enthusiasts say its the best ADSL router on the market.

Do you have a desktop of lappy?
And also, I use Talk Talk for my phone and they bill me for the line usage but is it still a BT line ( which seems necessary according to the website)
I have not heard anything positive about talk talk's broadband. Do you watch watchdog?
Another thing I've heard about is Wireless Cards. Will I need these?
Do you want to go wireless or will the pc/laptop be on the desk in the same place?

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Another super fast reply. Thanks psd99, plenty of info there.

The phone line was originally a BT line but I switched to TalkTalk as they were much cheaper so I imagine the line will be OK. I'm slowly coming to terms with all this.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Do you want to go wireless or will the pc/laptop be on the desk in the same place?

:thumb: I actually have a PC but have this notion of moving it about to various places at home, hence the need for something wireless.

Your site for equipment is amazing, the prices are spectacular. Are they alright? When you say they are B grade does that mean they are seconds or are they reconditioned?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
nivrip said:
:thumb: I actually have a PC but have this notion of moving it about to various places at home, hence the need for something wireless.

Your site for equipment is amazing, the prices are spectacular. Are they alright? When you say they are B grade does that mean they are seconds or are they reconditioned?
Fair enough, then wireless is a good thing to have if you dont want cables everywhere. Although cabled is more reliable and easier to set up.

They sell referbed stuff, but as i said you wouldn't know. Heres the thread from when i got it to save me repeating myself. :)
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2858395.php

Would this router be suitable for what I need?
Its an ADSL wireless router, so yes its all good, as long as you dont go for cable (virgin Media) as that would involve getting a cable router. :thumb:

Reaction score
I reccomend my router a lot.

It is called the Netgear DG834
its a white one

something like that really brilliant.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks to V_R, psd99 and Abarbarian for your advice.

I think I'm getting there at one end of the system but what about the PC end.
I have received the info down the phone line and it has been transmitted towards the PC so do I need to do anything now for the PC to pick up the info?
icon11.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If your using Ethernet then connect it all up and login to the router from the pc. check the manual for details. You will need to put your login name and password from your provider into the router to be able to use their service. It should be quite easy.

If you going wireless i would start by going cabled first then set up the router and then go wireless later.

You will need a wireless card for the pc, avoid using those USB dongles, they are crap.

So who are you going for? Or is this just in theory? :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
So who are you going for? Or is this just in theory?

The plan is to use TalkTalk for the broadband as they already supply my phone.Anyone used them? Are they any good? Then to send the signal to the PC via a wireless router.

Then, you say I'll need a wireless card. Where do I get one,any particular type and finally where do I put it? (I know what you're thinking about that last one
icon12.gif
) Bit of a dummy really, am I not? But always willing to learn.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Good stuff, Abarbarian. Soon be an expert !! Thanks again.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Moving forwards but have another question.

Is the wireless router suitable for VOIP?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Is the wireless router suitable for VOIP?

Can I ask the question again as I need to know.

All answers gratefully accepted.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Afaik, you can. Not 100% sure though.

Ask a Question