Botnet 'ensnares government PCs

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8010729.stm

Almost two million PCs globally, including machines inside UK and US government departments, have been taken over by malicious hackers.

Security experts Finjan traced the giant network of remotely-controlled PCs, called a botnet, back to a gang of cyber criminals in Ukraine.

Several PCs inside six UK government bodies were compromised by the botnet.

The cyber criminals, who have not been caught, were selling access to the compromised machines, thought to be mainly PCs inside companies, on a hackers' forum in Russia.

One thousand machines were being sold at a time for between $50 and $100.

Finjan reports that the botnet is under the control of six criminals who are able to remotely control the infected machines.

All of the infected machines were Windows-based PCs and the vulnerability was targeting security holes in Internet Explorer and Firefox.

"It is difficult to defend against a sophisticated Distributed Denial of Service attack without impacting legitimate business use."

I bet you all are looking forward to having one of those new Identity Cards the goernment are pushing. We will all sleep safely then won't we.

;)

Reaction score
The only ID cards we have in Ireland so far are for kids to prove they're 18 so they can buy booze.....Haven't heard of your nu card system yet.
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If ever there was a case for Linux, it's in Goverment institutions.

As long as each section employs a Linux-savvy IT admin the machines would be easy to use by any user familiar with office and financial software, they shouldn't have to mess with the kernel.

As for ID cards, I detest the idea, there's something really rather wonderful and delightfully British about being able to walk out with absolutely nothing at all in your pockets.

A trazillion CCTV cameras, ID cards and uniformed thugs.

Welcome to the new England and a brave new world :)

Thinking about it a bit, it wouldn't make any difference to me on a personal level as I already have a driving licenc e with photo, which is effectively an ID card anyway.

One check by Mr Plod and he will know everything about me from my shoe size to what I had for breakfast.

And when you were interviewed did the officer brush you lightly with an object or gather one of your body hairs?

Goody, you are now on the DNA database :)

Ask a Question