Both computers lagging online

Reaction score
Hi all. My pc is currently running on a 2mb internet connection speed and i share this through a router with my brother through ethernet cables. The problem started not too long ago actually. for quite a bit we have been able to go on online games together with no problem and no lagging up until recently. Our games keep lagging out while online. I guess it could be the 2mb connection not being sufficient for 2 computers but we never had this problem before. any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
2mb is probably fine for 2 gamers, but there are a few things that could cause this:

• Make sure you don't have any other downloads running (torrents, files etc...)
  • Check your local exchange loading (if it's in the red, it might be due for an upgrade : http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/)
  • Check that this happens when just one of you is gaming. I don't think 2mb itself would be the limit, but the ping to the server, although I suppose this could be slower with 2 people on the same connection.

Reaction score
hi.. yeh i dont have anything downloading whenever im gaming as i understand the problems this causes. Had a check at my local exchange loading and thats all green.. I tried it on one pc and it still lags now and again. Ping is shooting up and down. I also checked my broadband speed on http://www.speedtest.net/ and that is saying that im getting my 2 mb aswell. You think it could simply be an ntl problem?

Reaction score
Faulty router

Just to let you no the problem was just the router.. faulty. must have picked it up somewhere i dunno but got a new one and all is good. thnx for the help

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know the problem :) I'm glad it's working for you now!

Ask a Question