BootIt NG and/or Ranish Partition Manager with Vista

David Wilkinson

Hi all:

Has anybody put together a multi-boot system including Vista x86 and x64
using BootIt NG or Ranish Partition Manager? Does Vista cause any
particular problems with these programs?

This will be for a test machine with no pre-existing OS. I would like to
include at least Win2000, XP Pro and XP x64 in addition to Vista.

TIA,

David Wilkinson

Ed.

I have BootIt NG and multi-boot XP and Vista x86. I don't have a 64 bit
processor so can't try x64. But, I don't see no reason why it should be a
problem.

mikeyhsd

be sure and install VISTA last.

(e-mail address removed)

"Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message I have BootIt NG and multi-boot XP and Vista x86. I don't have a 64 bit
processor so can't try x64. But, I don't see no reason why it should be a
problem.

Alan Adams

David Wilkinson said:
Has anybody put together a multi-boot system including Vista x86 and x64
using BootIt NG or Ranish Partition Manager? Does Vista cause any
particular problems with these programs?

This will be for a test machine with no pre-existing OS. I would like to
include at least Win2000, XP Pro and XP x64 in addition to Vista.

Didn't have to do anything Vista-specific to BootIt NG; all the
Vista-specific stuff I ended up doing for my multi-boot scenarios was
in Ghost, not BootIt NG.

See the "Tutorial for Vista beta users?" and other threads in the
BootIt NG newsgroup.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:27:06 -0700
Newsgroups: public.apps.bootitng
Subject: Tutorial for Vista beta users?

Alan Adams

David Wilkinson

Alan said:
Didn't have to do anything Vista-specific to BootIt NG; all the
Vista-specific stuff I ended up doing for my multi-boot scenarios was
in Ghost, not BootIt NG.

See the "Tutorial for Vista beta users?" and other threads in the
BootIt NG newsgroup.

Alan Adams

Alan:

Thanks for the heads-up on the BootIt NG newsgroup. I didn't know there
was one.

David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

mikeyhsd said:
be sure and install VISTA last.

(e-mail address removed)

"Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message I have BootIt NG and multi-boot XP and Vista x86. I don't have a 64 bit
processor so can't try x64. But, I don't see no reason why it should be a
problem.
[snip]

Thanks, Ed.

Mikeyhsd: I am only just learning this stuff (don't have my test machine
yet), and most of my reading has been on Ranish Partition Manager (which
seems "closer to the metal"). But I thought that these boot managers
install each OS to its own primary partition in a configuration where
the system/boot partitions of any other OS's are hidden (removed from
the MBR partition table). In this situation I thought it did not matter
which order the OS's are installed in.

David Wilkinson

Mark D. VandenBeg

Vista is will modify the boot sequence and change which files are used to
boot and load, so it must be installed later in sequence.

Mark said:
Vista is will modify the boot sequence and change which files are used to
boot and load, so it must be installed later in sequence.

Mark:

How can this be if the system partitions are hidden from each other by
the partition manager? At least as I understand Ranish Partition
Manager, when installing or booting any OS, the system partitions of the
other OS's are removed from the partition table in the MBR.

David Wilkinson

Mark D. VandenBeg

David Wilkinson said:
Mark:

How can this be if the system partitions are hidden from each other by the
partition manager? At least as I understand Ranish Partition Manager, when
installing or booting any OS, the system partitions of the other OS's are
removed from the partition table in the MBR.

David Wilkinson

Well it won't if you hide system partition when you install the new O/S, but
after reading many posts, most users here either don't do that or don't know
enough to do that. I have also advocated the method of hiding Vista from XP
to save the Restore Points, as well, but it goes unnoticed.

David Wilkinson

Mark said:
Well it won't if you hide system partition when you install the new O/S, but
after reading many posts, most users here either don't do that or don't know
enough to do that. I have also advocated the method of hiding Vista from XP
to save the Restore Points, as well, but it goes unnoticed.

Mark:

OK, that's what I thought. That is what BootIt or Ranish can do for you.

David Wilkinson