Boot up Problem

G

Here is my problem:

I use Windows XP Professional as my operating system. Recently I added an external hard drive to my PC. The hard drive as Lacie Design by F A Porsche. Ever since this was added I get the following error message each time I boot up my PC:

ERR 5: Error finding "VFloppy.sys"
ERR 8 Fake Floppy Drive not found
Press any key to boot active partition

I have sent a message to Microsoft and they told me to uninstall the new drive. I did that and still get the message. I re-installed the hard drive and get the same error message.

Can you give me any advice?

John Cronin
(e-mail address removed)

G

Fix your boot.ini file. start\run and type in msconfig and hit ok or enter on your keyboard. Now click the boot.ini tab and then the check all boot paths button. Follow the on screen prompts. If this doesn't work then go into the control panel\system\advanced tab\startup and recovery-settings button\edit button then look at what is in the top section. This is what you should see.
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I don't use a timeout delay but if you like this number can be anything from 3 to 999 seconds. IF there is anything other thant that delete it. Note that this is for XP Home and if you have XP Pro then you will see that in the bottome fastdetect line. This is also for a system without any other partitions. Good luck. {:~)

Ask a Question