Boot manager location

Nir

I've searched the web extensively, though I came close, I still can't
solve my problem:
When I've installed vista, the installation have set the boot manager
to be on a different disk than the the boot loader.
Now, if I want to remove the hard drive containing the boot manager,
the system won't load, which is reasonable given these conditions,
nonetheless I DO want to remove this hard drive and still be able to
boot, therefore I've searched and queried everywhere and done the
following:
Physically disconnected the hard drive with the boot manager on it
(d:) and boot with the Vista DVD to run startup repair -> this didn't
help, the startup repair found the operation system but didn't
recognize any problem, when trying to boot the system would not load,
the error I'm getting when booting is disk read error occurred press
ctrl+alt+del to restart.

(reconnected d:, and system boots flawlessly, then) I've manually
changed the boot manger (and memory diagnostic, the only other bcd
entry on the d: drive) location with bcdedit to c:, and now bcdedit
(and VistaBootPro) show the boot manager (and memory diagnostic) in
the c: drive, HOWEVER, if I try to boot from that drive I get the same
error: disk read error...

I've literally tried almost anything, my only assumption now is that
vista tries to boot using a bootmgr found on my c drive, and this
bootmgr is (perhaps?) an old bootmgr and that is why the startup
repair doesn't recognize any problem.
Is there a way to delete the Boot and bootmgr from my c: drive (I have
it both on d: and c:)? or is there another solution I haven't looked
at?

John Barnes

You need to make sure the partition that you are trying to install the boot
manager on is marked active and a primary partition. So, first in boot
priority (or only one attached) 1 active primary partition, and retry
startup repair.

Nir

Thanks, but I guess I forgot to wrote it - the c: drive has always
been active, and so is the d: drive.
Both partitions are primary partitions too.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Boot back to the repair screens on the dvd
Go to the cmd prompt and redo the boot sector and the MBR

927392 How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment
to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927392

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: Nir <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|> Subject: Re: Boot manager location
|> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:42:29 -0800 (PST)
|>

|> Thanks, but I guess I forgot to wrote it - the c: drive has always
|> been active, and so is the d: drive.
|> Both partitions are primary partitions too.
|>

|> > You need to make sure the partition that you are trying to install the
boot
|> > manager on is marked active and a primary partition. So, first in boot
|> > priority (or only one attached) 1 active primary partition, and retry
|> > startup repair.

Nir

Wow, thanks, I haven't seen this option anywhere, this is exactly what
I was looking for!