Boot hangs after windows update

Steve Rainbird

I have just downloaded and installed about 10 updates using windows update.

When it finished installing it asked me to reboot.

When it is booting and gets to the Windows XP logo screen it hangs. The
progress bar stops dead and nothing happens.

I have rebooted in safe mode and gone back a couple of restore points but
the same thing still happens.

Anybody else got this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

db

the experts hang around here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

also, this might be helpful too:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=6527&x=11&y=11

both the above are no charge.

- db
I have just downloaded and installed about 10 updates using windows update.

When it finished installing it asked me to reboot.

When it is booting and gets to the Windows XP logo screen it hangs. The
progress bar stops dead and nothing happens.

I have rebooted in safe mode and gone back a couple of restore points but
the same thing still happens.

Anybody else got this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Rock

Steve Rainbird said:
I have just downloaded and installed about 10 updates using windows update.

When it finished installing it asked me to reboot.

When it is booting and gets to the Windows XP logo screen it hangs. The
progress bar stops dead and nothing happens.

I have rebooted in safe mode and gone back a couple of restore points but
the same thing still happens.

Anybody else got this problem?

If system restore isn't working and none of the other options on the
Advanced Options menu where safe mode is, work, then one option is do a
repair install.

I use a drive imaging program to image the system to an external drive
before doing updates. Then I apply updates one or just a few at a time.

There are many things that can cause problems with a system, not just
installing windows updates, so having a mechanism in place to easily restore
the system to a working condition is important. I use Acronis True Image
Home, version 10, imaging the drives to two external USB connected hard
drives.

Steve Rainbird

--
Steve

Thanks DB.

I powered it up this morning went and had some breakfast and when I came back it had booted ok.

No idea what was wrong but it seems ok now.

I have restored of course so I will install the updates 1 by 1 now to see which one causes the problem

Steve Rainbird

Steve Rainbird said:
I have just downloaded and installed about 10 updates using windows update.

When it finished installing it asked me to reboot.

When it is booting and gets to the Windows XP logo screen it hangs. The
progress bar stops dead and nothing happens.

I have rebooted in safe mode and gone back a couple of restore points but
the same thing still happens.

Anybody else got this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Installed the updates 1 by 1 and rebooted in between each with no problem at
all.

Hey ho that's windows for you! :)

db

you're welcome.

[...]

Lol, yep. That's one reason why I install them separately.