Boot folder, cannot remove, tried all tips.

Dr Teeth

I cannot delete the folder. I get told bootmgr.exe.mui is in use. I
also have a file in my XP root folder, 'bootmgr' that is also
undeletable it also being in use. I have searched the registry and
nothing turned up there.

I have used Unlocker, which is great for deleting undeletable files,
but that failed...so did recovery console, safe mode, deltree (
booting from floppy) and a freeware driver for reading and writing to
NTFS partitions. I've tried everything. I have also changed ownership
of the folder.

Everything else from Vista has been removed, I just want to delete the
above. Any ideas? The main puzzle is how these files are being loaded
as they are not referenced in the registry...I've searched.

Cheers,

Guy

John Barnes

It is probably being loaded from the boot sector. Since you give no useful
information, what you need to do is on your system drive (see disk
management), make sure you have the proper boot files for XP (ntldr,
ntdetect.com and boot.ini). If you do, use the xp Recovery console to run
fixboot. Make sure that the boot.ini properly reflects the location of the
XP partition

Dr Teeth

Since you give no useful
information,

Sorry John, it was a long night <g>.

I have already done as you have suggested and all is present and
correct. WinXP boots up normally and works 100%, I just cannot delete
the folder/file! All Vista boot menus are gone, went after I ran
FIXBOOT.

Cheers,

Guy

John Barnes

Have you taken posession of the file(s) you want to remove from your XP
system. You may have to turn off simple file sharing to get posession.

Dr Teeth

Have you taken posession of the file(s) you want to remove from your XP
system. You may have to turn off simple file sharing to get posession.

Done <g>. I tried the fixboot again and no change. I will check out
the ownership again even though I think I've got everything right.

Get back to you later...and thanks for your ideas...we'll beat Bill
yet <g>.

Cheers,

Guy

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello ,
What OS are you in when trying to delete the boot folder?
Note the BCD file located in the boot folder may be loaded in the Windows
Vista registry which will keep a file handle open to the folder that you
are tyring to delete.
HKLM\System\BCD00000000
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Boot folder, cannot remove, tried all tips.
<Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:15:44 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<Have you taken posession of the file(s) you want to remove from your XP
<system. You may have to turn off simple file sharing to get posession.
<
<<> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:25:16 -0800, "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<> wrote:
<>
<>>Since you give no useful
<>>information,
<>
<> Sorry John, it was a long night <g>.
<>
<> I have already done as you have suggested and all is present and
<> correct. WinXP boots up normally and works 100%, I just cannot delete
<> the folder/file! All Vista boot menus are gone, went after I ran
<> FIXBOOT.
<>
<> Cheers,
<>
<> Guy
<>
<> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
<> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
<> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.
<
<
<

Dr Teeth

Get back to you later...and thanks for your ideas...we'll beat Bill
yet <g>.

Even though I had taken ownership of the main folder, and subfolders
and files; the change had not propagated down the tree (as I would
have expected it to). I had to select the lower box in the permissions
tab "replace permission entries on all child objects...".

Thanks John for making me take another look. Now to try to install
again without it touching my XP partition.

Cheers,

Guy

John Barnes

Good luck. Has become much better. Beta2 had a nightmare of other
partitions being affected (even hidden).