BOINC Question

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm having a mental abberation. I've done this before but cannot for the life of me remember how to do it.

I have a PC with several users who all log on separately. I run BOINC on this PC and somehow the settings have changed. BOINC now only runs when I am logged on and not when others are logged on.

There is a setting somewhere that allows me to instruct the PC to run BOINC for All Users. Would someone please remind me how to do this as I seem to be running out of brain cells.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Others here will correct me if I've got it wrong... but isn't that a setting you have to choose when installing BOINC..? I can't find any settings that can be tweaked either, but I can recall being asked when initially setting up, so maybe you'll need to reinstall BOINC(?)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Tried that TC. :) Didn't make any difference.

Can't recall anywhere in the set up there being a question about All Users. But I do know I've done it somewhere before and I'm sure it had something to do with All Users being logged on to all programs, not just BOINC.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Was just about to give Niv the same linky Mucks :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• BOINC capture.JPG
    BOINC capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 442

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Mucks and TC. TBH I missed that when I reinstalled BOINC so I have done it again and ticked the box.

However when other uers log on they are still denied acess to BOINC. They are "not connected to the project". A box appears stating that they must "check with the administrator (me) to get user rights for local users".

Trouble is that I don't know where to look to find this. Any ideas?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hmm...
confused.gif
puzzling. According to the release notes I've just been reading:
Allow all users on this computer to control BOINC - If selected (public mode), all users can control BOINC (attach/detach projects, etc.). If not selected (private mode), the only users who can control BOINC are: the installing user, members of the Administrator group, and members of the 'boinc_users' group. When other users run the BOINC Manager, they'll be shown a dialog saying to contact the administrator to add them to the 'boinc_users' group.

So, it looks as if (for some reason) your tick, might somehow have become un-ticked(?)

I have had a good look around, but all seems to hinge on that tick... unless anyone else can throw more light on the subject (sure they will.) :) Must admit, it has be intrigued now. :(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Still having problems with this issue.:(
I thought I'd solved it by adding the BOINC folder to the All Users folder. BOINC does appear when other users log in but they are denied access to it and are still getting the box stating "access denied. Contact the Administrator to be added to the BOINC users local user group"

I still cannot find this elusive user group despite using the search facility.

Anyone got any further ideas? It's most frustrating. :wall:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Still having problems with this issue.:(
I thought I'd solved it by adding the BOINC folder to the All Users folder. BOINC does appear when other users log in but they are denied access to it and are still getting the box stating "access denied. Contact the Administrator to be added to the BOINC users local user group"

I still cannot find this elusive user group despite using the search facility.

Anyone got any further ideas? It's most frustrating. :wall:

Niv I have to reformat g'friends laptop tonight and install BOINC on that. Her and her two daughters all share the same laptop, so when I install BOINC I shall let you know how I get on and if anything I do can be of help to you...

Ask a Question