Bluetooth under Vista

Diamontina Cocktail

I use a D-Link DBT-122 and under XP all was well. Under Vista, system
properties says it exists but the Bluetooth icon in control panel says it
doesn't. I originally thought this was a D-Link problem but today I got a
message from a Dell owner with inbuilt bluetooth saying that after the
upgrade to Vista, he has the exact same problem.

So, does anyone know how to get bluetooth dongles recognised by Vista now,
please? Thanks.

Donald McDaniel

Diamontina Cocktail said:
I use a D-Link DBT-122 and under XP all was well. Under Vista, system
properties says it exists but the Bluetooth icon in control panel says it
doesn't. I originally thought this was a D-Link problem but today I got a
message from a Dell owner with inbuilt bluetooth saying that after the
upgrade to Vista, he has the exact same problem.

So, does anyone know how to get bluetooth dongles recognised by Vista now,
please? Thanks.

I will let you know after tomorrow. I have a Logitech Mx5000 desk set
arriving tomorrow. It has a dongle (referred to as "mini-USB Bluetooth
Receiver). Logitech says it is "designed for Vista".

We will see.

The last Bluetooth set I purchased was a Microsoft Keyboard Elite for
Bluetooth, which also had a dongle. Because the metal around the USB
connector was too thin, it failed to get a good connection, and worked from
time to time (mostly never). But I always had to fiddle with it in the USB
port to get Windows to recognize it. Finally, it stopped working altogether,
and I just threw it away.

Now I have an almost-new Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and Mouse, which cost me
over $100US + shipping.

Anyone want it? It's yours for the shipping charges (payable in advance, of
course).

At least my current Logitech Mx3200 USB keyboard and mouse work with the
provided mini-USB Receiver. You CAN'T have it. Works just fine in Vista.

HDFatBoy2003

I don't think Vista natively supports Bluetooth networking. You'll need to
install additional Bluetooth stack for it. There is a Widcomm Vista stack
available, don't know if your dongle uses Widcomm or another stack.

Diamontina Cocktail

Yep, Vista DOES - or at least is SUPPOSED to - support it. Vista comes with
a Bluetooth icon under control panel indicating it supports it and when you
install the software that comes with the DBT-122, you get 2 of them in
control panel.

Donald McDaniel

Diamontina Cocktail said:
Yep, Vista DOES - or at least is SUPPOSED to - support it. Vista comes with
a Bluetooth icon under control panel indicating it supports it and when you
install the software that comes with the DBT-122, you get 2 of them in
control panel.

Actually, the Bluetooth Icon in Control Panel is only installed IF your PC has
built-in Bluetooth Radio. Otherwise, it never appears UNTIL Bluetooth
hardware and software is installed.

BTW, when I owned an Apple Intel PC with built-in Bluetooth, and plugged in a
Microsoft Bluetooth Dongle and the Windows Bluetooth software, evidently, the
Microsoft Dongle interfered with the Apple Bluetooth, and vice versa, leading
to very unstable Bluetooth.

Diamontina Cocktail

Donald McDaniel said:
Actually, the Bluetooth Icon in Control Panel is only installed IF your PC
has built-in Bluetooth Radio. Otherwise, it never appears UNTIL Bluetooth
hardware and software is installed.

Obviously not right because my computer

1) Doesnt have inbuilt bluetooth, only a dongle.

2) The icon was there from the first moment I opened Control Panel. Back
then, 2 were there and I uninstalled the software from D-Link and now only
the Vista one is there.

Donald McDaniel

Diamontina Cocktail said:
Obviously not right because my computer

1) Doesnt have inbuilt bluetooth, only a dongle.

2) The icon was there from the first moment I opened Control Panel. Back
then, 2 were there and I uninstalled the software from D-Link and now only
the Vista one is there.

I guess you have as "special" computer, then. All I can do is testify to what
I have experienced. There was no Bluetooth icon in the Control Panel after I
installed Vista.

There you have it.

Rock

Diamontina Cocktail said:
Obviously not right because my computer

1) Doesnt have inbuilt bluetooth, only a dongle.

2) The icon was there from the first moment I opened Control Panel. Back
then, 2 were there and I uninstalled the software from D-Link and now only
the Vista one is there.

No Bluetooth in the control panel on this Vista Ultimate RTM installation.
I don't think it's there by default. Now if a Bluetooth device is present
during install then maybe.

Diamontina Cocktail

Donald McDaniel said:
I guess you have as "special" computer, then. All I can do is testify to
what I have experienced. There was no Bluetooth icon in the Control Panel
after I installed Vista.

Nope. I have a normal self built one. All I can do is testify to what
happens.

Diamontina Cocktail

Rock said:
No Bluetooth in the control panel on this Vista Ultimate RTM installation.
I don't think it's there by default. Now if a Bluetooth device is present
during install then maybe.

Could be but I was thinking it may be there by default under business, which
I have but your premise doesn't take into account why there should be two
there after upgrade and then when I uninstall all traces of Bluetooth from
my computer AND have the dongle unplugged so nothing is connected and
nothing installed, the Vista version of the Bluetooth Icon in control panel
is still there.

HDFatBoy2003

Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.

But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and I
don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without installing
another Vista capable stack.

It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles show
up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack doesn't
recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is not natively
supported.

Donald McDaniel

Diamontina Cocktail said:
Nope. I have a normal self built one. All I can do is testify to what
happens.

Actually, my friend, you can only testify to "what happens with YOU". Any
other "testimony" is commonly referred to as "rumour", and is not admissible
in a court of Law.

Donald McDaniel

Rock said:
No Bluetooth in the control panel on this Vista Ultimate RTM installation. I
don't think it's there by default. Now if a Bluetooth device is present
during install then maybe.

There is just no use trying to explain anything to this person, Rock.
After all, he/she built his/her OWN computer. And that obviously makes
him/her an instant "expert".

Diamontina Cocktail

Donald McDaniel said:
Actually, my friend, you can only testify to "what happens with YOU". Any
other "testimony" is commonly referred to as "rumour", and is not
admissible in a court of Law.

So it doesn't happen to you therefore it doesn't happen to anyone, right?

Diamontina Cocktail

HDFatBoy2003 said:
Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.

But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and I
don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without installing
another Vista capable stack.

You mean bluetooth isnt supported? Amazing if true seeing that it is so
prevalent.
It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles
show up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack
doesn't recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is
not natively supported.

I find that different people mean different things when saying networking
while referring to bluetooth so to be clear, all I mean is it wont bluetooth
connect. It will cable connect but that is a pain in the end. Under XPSP2 I
could be at the other end of the premises and update as needed but cant do
that with Vista. I am hoping that it gets resolved but so far it is unclear
as to what that will take - an update from Microsoft or D-Link.

Diamontina Cocktail

Donald McDaniel said:
There is just no use trying to explain anything to this person, Rock.
After all, he/she built his/her OWN computer. And that obviously makes
him/her an instant "expert".

TROLL!

Donald McDaniel

Diamontina Cocktail said:
So it doesn't happen to you therefore it doesn't happen to anyone, right?

Please, Sir, or Madam. I may be bull-headed, but I'm certainly not a fool.

I've been using Windows for many years, and have yet to see a Bluetooth icon
in Control Panel unless a Bluetooth receiver is installed.

It certainly wasn't any different with Vista.

Everyone is entitled to their delusions, so have fun with yours.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The Bluetooth Icon only appears in Control Panel if Bluetooth Reciever are
detected on the machine:

From the help file which is pointing to the profiles supported:
What is Bluetooth wireless technology?

Bluetooth technology uses radio transmissions to enable devices such as
computers, printers, mice, or mobile phones to communicate wirelessly over
a short distance. Some of the ways to use Bluetooth technology are:

To transfer files between computers or between a computer and another device

To print using a Bluetooth enabled wireless printer

To use a Bluetooth enabled wireless keyboard or mouse

To listen to music using Bluetooth enabled wireless headphones

To synchronize a Bluetooth enabled personal digital assistant (PDA) to a
computer or another device

To create a wireless connection to the Internet with a Bluetooth enabled
mobile phone or a modem server

To join a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "HDFatBoy2003" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Bluetooth under Vista
|>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:54:25 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|>
|>Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.
|>
|>But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and
|>don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without installing
|>another Vista capable stack.
|>
|>It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles
show
|>up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack doesn't
|>recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is not
natively
|>supported.

Widcomm

Back

|>> Could be but I was thinking it may be there by default under business,
|>> which I have but your premise doesn't take into account why there
should
|>> be two there after upgrade and then when I uninstall all traces of
|>> Bluetooth from my computer AND have the dongle unplugged so nothing is
|>> connected and nothing installed, the Vista version of the Bluetooth
Icon
|>> in control panel is still there.

Rock

Thanks Darrell.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
The Bluetooth Icon only appears in Control Panel if Bluetooth Reciever are
detected on the machine:

From the help file which is pointing to the profiles supported:
What is Bluetooth wireless technology?

Bluetooth technology uses radio transmissions to enable devices such as
computers, printers, mice, or mobile phones to communicate wirelessly over
a short distance. Some of the ways to use Bluetooth technology are:

To transfer files between computers or between a computer and another
device

To print using a Bluetooth enabled wireless printer

To use a Bluetooth enabled wireless keyboard or mouse

To listen to music using Bluetooth enabled wireless headphones

To synchronize a Bluetooth enabled personal digital assistant (PDA) to a
computer or another device

To create a wireless connection to the Internet with a Bluetooth enabled
mobile phone or a modem server

To join a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "HDFatBoy2003" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Bluetooth under Vista
|>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:54:25 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|>
|>Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.
|>
|>But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and
|>don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without
installing
|>another Vista capable stack.
|>
|>It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles
show
|>up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack
doesn't
|>recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is not
natively
|>supported.

You'll
Widcomm

Back

Bluetooth

|>> Could be but I was thinking it may be there by default under business,
|>> which I have but your premise doesn't take into account why there
should
|>> be two there after upgrade and then when I uninstall all traces of
|>> Bluetooth from my computer AND have the dongle unplugged so nothing is
|>> connected and nothing installed, the Vista version of the Bluetooth
Icon
|>> in control panel is still there.

Donald McDaniel

Rock said:
Thanks Darrell.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
The Bluetooth Icon only appears in Control Panel if Bluetooth Reciever are
detected on the machine:

From the help file which is pointing to the profiles supported:
What is Bluetooth wireless technology?

Bluetooth technology uses radio transmissions to enable devices such as
computers, printers, mice, or mobile phones to communicate wirelessly over
a short distance. Some of the ways to use Bluetooth technology are:

To transfer files between computers or between a computer and another
device

To print using a Bluetooth enabled wireless printer

To use a Bluetooth enabled wireless keyboard or mouse

To listen to music using Bluetooth enabled wireless headphones

To synchronize a Bluetooth enabled personal digital assistant (PDA) to a
computer or another device

To create a wireless connection to the Internet with a Bluetooth enabled
mobile phone or a modem server

To join a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "HDFatBoy2003" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Bluetooth under Vista
|>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:54:25 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|>
|>Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.
|>
|>But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and
|>don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without installing
|>another Vista capable stack.
|>
|>It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles
show
|>up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack doesn't
|>recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is not
natively
|>supported.

Widcomm

Back

|>> Could be but I was thinking it may be there by default under business,
|>> which I have but your premise doesn't take into account why there
should
|>> be two there after upgrade and then when I uninstall all traces of
|>> Bluetooth from my computer AND have the dongle unplugged so nothing is
|>> connected and nothing installed, the Vista version of the Bluetooth
Icon
|>> in control panel is still there.

Actually, Windows (at least XP) does have a Bluetooth stack, IF it's
installed. However, it will not be installed until a Bluetooth Radio is
detected.

As far as Vista, I purchased a new Logitech MX 5000 Laser Desktop (Bluetooth),
and was eventually able to install it (I kept downloading the wrong driver on
Logitech's website. If one does not have built-in Bluetooth, the correct
driver download for Vista is "setpoint330.br", NOT "setpoint330.bt" (which is
the one I kept downloading), which I assume is for computers with Bluetooth
built-in. Once I downloaded the correct driver, the software installed and
recognized the keyboard and mouse immediately.

Anyway, it works fantastically great, unlike my experience with Microsoft
Bluetooth Desktop sets, the last one of which is still in my closet, gathering
dust. It seems to work ok with a straight USB 2.0 dongle, however, so I will
keep it around as a backup in case my Logitech ever fails.