Blocking unwanted posts to bulletin board

I have 2 bulletin boards on my web site www.handtubs.com. I am getting
spammed (i guess you call it) with unwanted posts and links. They are
relentless and post dozens of times a day. Is there any way to block unwnated
posts, disable links or anything I can do to stop this. I hate to pass word
protect the board as this will turn people away.

Chuck Davis

handtub Junction said:
I have 2 bulletin boards on my web site www.handtubs.com. I am getting
spammed (i guess you call it) with unwanted posts and links. They are
relentless and post dozens of times a day. Is there any way to block
unwnated
posts, disable links or anything I can do to stop this. I hate to pass
word
protect the board as this will turn people away.

Passwords will not stop the spammers, if you allow online registration.

If they could be blocked, the fifth post prior to yours wouldn't be there.
The subject is "Horny Teen Girls."

Chuck Davis

handtub Junction said:
I have 2 bulletin boards on my web site www.handtubs.com. I am getting
spammed (i guess you call it) with unwanted posts and links. They are
relentless and post dozens of times a day. Is there any way to block
unwnated
posts, disable links or anything I can do to stop this. I hate to pass
word
protect the board as this will turn people away.

In my previous reply, I hadn't been to other Newsgroups this morning. The
spamming post in on every one, all within one minute which means to me that
a computer did it.

When spamming was in its infancy, if no one bought the products offered it
would have died. However, even a small percentage of responses reaped huge
profits for the spammers.

I'm bumping this one up, as I have a similar problem. I find more computers
scrawl on my wall with spam than actually comment on the work or the website.
There is obviously some sort of webcrawler that finds FrontPage bulletin
boards and posts these pieces of digital spiced ham. Is there anything that
can be done to prevent them from accessing the boards, short of tearing it
down? I'd really hate to lose my wall, as for all the annoyance this is
causing, it has reunited me with a bunch of people from my past and helped
get the word out on my work.

Tom Pepper Willett

As has been discussed here numerous times, nothing you can do about this.
If it's publicly accessible, it's open to anyone and anything.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
| I'm bumping this one up, as I have a similar problem. I find more
computers
| scrawl on my wall with spam than actually comment on the work or the
website.
| There is obviously some sort of webcrawler that finds FrontPage bulletin
| boards and posts these pieces of digital spiced ham. Is there anything
that
| can be done to prevent them from accessing the boards, short of tearing it
| down? I'd really hate to lose my wall, as for all the annoyance this is
| causing, it has reunited me with a bunch of people from my past and helped
| get the word out on my work.
|
| "handtub Junction" wrote:
|
| > I have 2 bulletin boards on my web site www.handtubs.com. I am getting
| > spammed (i guess you call it) with unwanted posts and links. They are
| > relentless and post dozens of times a day. Is there any way to block
unwnated
| > posts, disable links or anything I can do to stop this. I hate to pass
word
| > protect the board as this will turn people away.

Thomas A. Rowe

Not really, you can try to look for one written in a server-side scripting language using a
database, that would allow you to block users by IP Address, etc.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Thomas A. Rowe said:
Not really, you can try to look for one written in a server-side scripting language using a
database, that would allow you to block users by IP Address, etc.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

I seemed to have solved my problem of unwanted posts by changing the bulletin board page to an intro page, so now people have to click one more time to get to the bulletin board. I gave the intro page the address of the bulletin board page and assigned a new address to the bulletin. Unwanted posts have not been a problem since. I have instructed users of the board to bookmark the intro page, that way if the spammers catch up with me again, I can easily change the board address againwitout affecting people's book marks.

Mike Mueller

I tried that with the guestbook, and it worked for awhile.
It just took a while for them to refind it. What I did was
to add an image that the person needs to read and place the
information into the form. No problems since then, which is
probably a month ago

"handtub junction" <handtub
:
:
: "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
:
: > Not really, you can try to look for one written in a
server-side scripting language using a
: > database, that would allow you to block users by IP
Address, etc.
: >
: > --
: > ==============================================
: > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
: > ==============================================
: > If you feel your current issue is a results of
installing
: > a Service Pack or security update, please contact
: > Microsoft Product Support Services:
: > http://support.microsoft.com
: > If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
: > security update, then there is usually no charge for the
call.
: > ==============================================
: >
message
: >
: > > I'm bumping this one up, as I have a similar problem.
I find more computers
: > > scrawl on my wall with spam than actually comment on
the work or the website.
: > > There is obviously some sort of webcrawler that finds
FrontPage bulletin
: > > boards and posts these pieces of digital spiced ham.
Is there anything that
: > > can be done to prevent them from accessing the boards,
short of tearing it
: > > down? I'd really hate to lose my wall, as for all the
annoyance this is
: > > causing, it has reunited me with a bunch of people
from my past and helped
: > > get the word out on my work.
: > >
: > >