Bloated workbook

Bruce Roberson

I have a workbook that is larger than it should be because
one of the sheets refuses to clear all the blank rows when
you press delete or when you choose Edit, Clear, All.

Here is my example. I have a workbook that is 2,246 gb in
size and contains 3 to 4 worksheets of only moderate input.

In the worksheet in question, if I select cell A54, and
then hold down the shift and end keys, there is an area
highlighted from a54 to BE65527. This area is all blank,
but apparently something is making it take up memory
space. If I press delete at this point, why doesn't this
area vanish from memory?

What else can I do other than to copy the active cells to
a different worksheet in the workbook and then re install
my range names or whatever I need on the sheet?

David McRitchie

Hi Bruce,
It is hard to tell what caused it, that is very excessive as far as last
cell problems go. That wouldn't likely be caused
by inserting a few rows here and there and getting a high water mark.

Possibly some kind of conversion such as from a lotus worksheet to
an Excel worksheet that attempted to examine every cell whether in
your used area or not.

If you are sure that nothing should be after cell A54 you can
select that cell and run the MakeLastCell macro from
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#makelastcell

If you want to try something less rigorous that might reset lastcell
problems for all of your worksheets look at Reset_all_lastcells
in the topic above the one mentioned.

Ok, I'll try the download you suggest. It is in fact a
conversion from a Quattro Pro worksheet.
It is hard to tell what caused it, that is very excessive as far as last
cell problems go. That wouldn't likely be caused
by inserting a few rows here and there and getting a high water mark.

Possibly some kind of conversion such as from a lotus worksheet to
an Excel worksheet that attempted to examine every cell whether in
your used area or not.

If you are sure that nothing should be after cell A54 you can
select that cell and run the MakeLastCell macro from
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#makelastc
ell

If you want to try something less rigorous that might reset lastcell
problems for all of your worksheets look at Reset_all_lastcells
in the topic above the one mentioned.

"Bruce Roberson" <[email protected]>