BIOS Upgrade

Reaction score
Guys,

I've just bought at X2 4400+ (courtesy of V_R reminding me about OverClockers UK - thanks mate!) and am about to embark on a BIOS upgrade.

Now I'm just about to get set up, try and find a floppy disc, and do the scary deed, when I find an ASUS utility called AsusUpdate. It was on the disc with the Mobo apparently, but I never found it.

The utility lets you flash the BIOS from within WinXP. Sounds too good to be true to me, but of course it's alot easier than the faffing about with a floppy and multiple reboots.

Anyone used it in the past?

Jock

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Does the board have EZFlash? (Flashing from a usb stick.) That would be the best way to do it, as your not relying on an OS, Internet connection etc.

What board?

Reaction score
Not sure about EZFlash, but there's no option in the setup to boot from a USB, so I didn't consider that option. It's an ASUS A8NSLI-Delux.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The other question is, do you need to do a BIOS update? Whats it running at the mo?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If you go into the BIOS, is there an option for ezflash in there?

Reaction score
I'm running the original BIOS with an Athlon 64 3500+ and I am just about to plug in an X2 4400+

From what I've read, the board won't support the X2 dual core chips without a BIOS upgrade.

Will check BIOS settings shortly.

OK - read through all BIOS menu settings, no "EZFlash" at all.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
In the manual for your mb, page 4-7.
user.gif

Reaction score
Ok, missed that page - didn't get past 4-6!! Thanks alot.... now, where IS that floppy disc?

Of course, I'm tempted to try AsusUpdate just for the hell of it!

Jock

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries, I can update BIOS via usb stick in bios itself (I have the Asus P5B Dlx), sorry just assumed your asus did the same. so ignore my usb flashing message earlier. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I used the Asus Update software a couple of weeks ago . When I tried to use the update from the web part it kept on telling me that there was no file found on the server .
However I went to the Asus site and downloaded the bios update and saved it to a folder . Then using the Asus Update I saved the original pc bios to a file and updated with the new bios from the folder . Everything went ok and I am now using the new bios . As an experiment I used the AU to go back to the old bios and back to the new bios . Easy peasy all done with a couple of clicks .
When I first used the AU it redirected me from me original mission and updated the AsusUpdate before it did anything else as a newer version was available . In all took me about 30 mins but 28 mins of that was me letting the brain chew over new input and descision making .

:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have been wanting to update my bios (as im supposed too :D) and i have the Asus utility, but i didnt know if it was worth the risks of frying my bios. Perhaps i will try it :D
oh, and i dont have a floppy drive :D or disc for that matter.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You only need to Flash the BIOS if it going to 'fix' something.

:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Really mucks? i heard that you 'should' do it if your running a older version... I havent touched it since i got my mobo :D

Reaction score
Alf said:
Really mucks? i heard that you 'should' do it if your running a older version... I havent touched it since i got my mobo :D

Don`t need to flash untill something goes wrong, I had one PC for 6 years and when I sold it I still had not had to flash the BIOS:D

Reaction score
ASUS BIOS Flash

Good news is that the ASUS BIOS flash utility worked perfectly. As I couldn't get the new BIOS file on the internet either, I download it from ASUS, and then used the "Update BIOS from file" option. It took about 20 secs to erase, write and verify the new ROM.

A reboot confirmed the new BIOS (the different boot logo was obvious) and the new 1803 version is reported everywhere. It took about a minute all-in and one reboot - what a change from floppy discs and worrying reboots.

The new AthX2 4400 appears to run fine, although I'm only getting an Aquamark CPU score of 9,308.

Jock

Ask a Question