Bios infection? Can this be?

Reaction score
My system has been seriously compromised. My computer is connecting to the Internet by itself, without access to my modem. It is running constantly and I have found that I can not turn it off unless I uninstall the battery. These computers, actually I have three, will not allow me to change the names of each computer, won't let me change any settings and will shut down if I start deleting So called non essential files. The programs that are running on here include a keylogger file. Everything I save is automatically saved to the public folders! Yikes! I need some serious help. I have uninstalled the OS on all computers and reinstalled them. It doesn't change the symptoms. This thing has to be in the Bios. Help

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
BIOS infections are not un-common. What you need to do is flash the BIOS with a system you know is not corrupt. No easy task, and not something I have had to do or even attempted. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The motherboard manual(s) will explain how to reflash each BIOS.

If you don't have any or some of the manuals then look up the motherboard manufacturer online and either read or download the manual.

It's not something to tackle lightly, make sure you're fully conversant with the procedure and have all the relevant files in the correct places before commencing.

Good luck.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have to ask this first: What OS are we dealing with?

Can there be a BIOS infection: Yes.
Will it affect your system like this: probably not, but not completely out of the question

The BIOS is a small chip and (not to take away from EvanDavis) it has been a VERY long time since I have seen a hardware virus. A BIOS virus would have to be accompanied by a software infection in the system. A BIOS infection would not automatically download software, as a BIOS configuration is only at the basic hardware level, hence the name Basic Input Output System.

If you are concerned about the BIOS being infected, you need to get to the website of the manufacturer of the system board in your machine first. Download the latest BIOS update for the system. Depending on how your system is configured, you may have to work with the update to get it installed. Typically, the installation is done via floppy disc. Some can be updated from bootable CD, but that is something that will be outlined on the website for the update. Some of the newer updates are coming as software that runs on your machine, in Windows, and loads information to the boot record of the hard drive so that the software can be run and loaded into the CMOS chip. This option is not a viable one if you suspect a BIOS infection, as the software in the OS will hijack the function and probably cause you to have to re-flash the BIOS. Worst case scenario, the software hijacks the flash program and causes it to only work part of the way and when you reboot, dead machine requiring a replacement of the CMOS chip (which is most likely soldered on) or replacement of the board (due to the aforementioned solder).

If you have an infection of the OS that is this deep, I recommend that you obtain the toolkit from the manufacturer of your hard drive. This will allow you to boot to a CD (most likely) and perform a low level format on the drive. This will write zeroes to the drive and essentially "reset" it to a like new configuration. The idea is that the drive is written and re-written with zeroes to remove any instance of unwanted software. The process can take some time to perform but, in the end, you should end up with a clean drive on which you can install your OS.

Food for thought.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I doubt very much you have an 'infected' BIOS, more likely you are re-infecting your clean install, you are doing a clean install, yes?

We really need more info, however, may I strongly suggest you either visit a good PC repair shop or at least try http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ :)

Welcome to PCReview :user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that 19th months ago I was flashing my 5.5 year old motherboard within Windows using Asus software and it went wrong. The Bios was corrupted and the board wouldn't boot.

My CMOS chip was soldered to the board but it had a soccket on board where relevant instruments could be attached and the BIOS flashed that way. I had to send the board away and as it was Christmas time it was a ten day turnaround, but my board was saved. It cost about £18.00 if I remember correctly, quite reasonable.

What I'm saying is that the majority of motherboards with soldered Bios's will have an access socket so if the Bios goes belly-up it's not neccessarily a throw away job.

Ask a Question