Best virtual environment for testing/playing?

Kris

Thinking about windows 7

what would be the best environment to test this out in? (while keeping my
Vista Ult 32bit OEM SP1.....)
Virtual PC?
Virtual Box?
Virtual Machine?
What???

never done this before.

Thanks!

DDW

Kris said:
Thinking about windows 7

what would be the best environment to test this out in? (while keeping my
Vista Ult 32bit OEM SP1.....)
Virtual PC?
Virtual Box?
Virtual Machine?
What???

never done this before.

Add another hard drive and install the new system on that using a
dual-boot setup. Dual boot isn't the only option for that setup, but
it's probably the easiest.

Or - if you have a tower system with external bays, buy two drive
caddys (about $30 each), install your current drive in one and the new
drive in another and install the new system on the second drive while
the first is powered off/disconnected.

DDW

Malke

Kris said:
Thinking about windows 7

what would be the best environment to test this out in? (while keeping my
Vista Ult 32bit OEM SP1.....)
Virtual PC?
Virtual Box?
Virtual Machine?
What???

Personally, I like VMware best. But just go ahead and try Virtual PC and
Virtual Box so you can decide for yourself. They are free.

Malke

Richard Urban

Testing a new operating system as a virtual machine is not a valid test as
you are deprived of seeing how it interacts with your physical hardware.

Synapse Syndrome

Richard Urban said:
Testing a new operating system as a virtual machine is not a valid test as
you are deprived of seeing how it interacts with your physical hardware.

It's going to be a long time before anybody wants to do that sort of
'testing' with Windows 7.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

DDW said:
Add another hard drive and install the new system on that using a
dual-boot setup. Dual boot isn't the only option for that setup, but
it's probably the easiest.

Or - if you have a tower system with external bays, buy two drive
caddys (about $30 each), install your current drive in one and the new
drive in another and install the new system on the second drive while
the first is powered off/disconnected.

Using a virtual machine will be a lot less hassle, with such an early beta.

ss.

Kris

Using a virtual machine will be a lot less hassle, with such an early beta.

ss.

agreed. Also, I had to completely re install Vista to get rid of my dual
boot with XP, even after many posts here about what "should" do it. Never
again!

Kris

From: Richard Urban <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Best virtual environment for testing/playing?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:11:02 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Testing a new operating system as a virtual machine is not a valid test as
you are deprived of seeing how it interacts with your physical hardware.

When they come out with RC1, I'll consider installing it in physical! :blush:)

Kris

From: Synapse Syndrome <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:22:19 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

It's going to be a long time before anybody wants to do that sort of
'testing' with Windows 7.

ss.

agreed. Though maybe sooner than we think - wouldn't that be fantastic? a
new toy to play with!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! (though I am having no probs
with Vista, I'm bored!)( but I found a supposed beta build on torrent so
thought a virtual machine would be the perfect place to play with it and
cut my teeth on virtual stuff.)

Not Even Me

at this point, it isn't even Beta, until it is releases to testers, it is
Alpha (usually internal only).

Synapse Syndrome

Not Even Me said:
at this point, it isn't even Beta, until it is releases to testers, it is
Alpha (usually internal only).

Ah ok, you can be pedantic. I knew that, and only realised just after I
sent it.

ss.

Kris

Ah ok, you can be pedantic. I knew that, and only realised just after I
sent it.

ss.

not only alpha, but 1 year old alpha. I did download it, but I will not
spend more time with it.