Benchmarks comparing 32-bit XP and 64-bit XP?

Jon Davis

Does anyone know of benchmarks comparing the FINAL release of the 64-bit
Windows XP vs. the 32-bit version, with an AMD 64-bit processor? Also want
to see compatibility test results.

BETA VERSION BENCHMARKS / TEST RESULTS DO NOT COUNT.

I'm about to get a laptop and will probably get one with a 64-bit processor
from AMD. The options I'm choosing from come with XP Home Edition
preinstalled. I will upgrade to XP 64-bit as I am a developer w/ an MSDN
Universal subscription.

Thanks,
Jon

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Does anyone know of benchmarks comparing the FINAL release of the 64-bit
| Windows XP vs. the 32-bit version, with an AMD 64-bit processor? Also want
| to see compatibility test results.
|
| BETA VERSION BENCHMARKS / TEST RESULTS DO NOT COUNT.
|
| I'm about to get a laptop and will probably get one with a 64-bit processor
| from AMD. The options I'm choosing from come with XP Home Edition
| preinstalled. I will upgrade to XP 64-bit as I am a developer w/ an MSDN
| Universal subscription.
|
| Thanks,
| Jon

Jon Davis

This doesn't answer the benchmarking question.

However, it appears that I did post in error, since the 2003 edition is the
most recent version and it is still a Beta release.

Jon

Tim Slattery

Jon Davis said:
Does anyone know of benchmarks comparing the FINAL release of the 64-bit
Windows XP vs. the 32-bit version, with an AMD 64-bit processor? Also want
to see compatibility test results.

The final version of 64-bit WinXP for AMD Opteron isn't out yet. Only
a beta version has been released.

Jon Davis

Any word on a final release date?

Also, is simultaneous 32-bit + 64-bit execution (i.e. 32-bit ActiveX within
64-bit Internet Explorer) ever going to be possible, such as in a WoW
wrapper of some kind?

Jon