    So before I do anything else I'd like to ask: Does the Web Site
    Adminstration Tool even work with SQL Server 2000? (I've read the WSAT help
    and I've run aspnet_regsql but I still can't get it to work. Still digging...)

    B. Chernick, Dec 17, 2007

  2. B. Chernick

    sloan Guest

    WSAT is (imho) more for the hobbyist or the most basic of web pages....and
    not a real enterprise application.

    It is mainly for altering roles inside the web.config file.

    I would RUN AWAY from it.

    You need to do some searching for
    "MembershipProvider" and "RoleProvider".

    Go here
    http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!160.entry
    and find the scottgu link .... and you'll see how to work within the
    confines of Sql Server 2000 as well.

    VS2005 put a lot of stuff in .... which is geared toward RAPID development.
    I call that prototype development.
    So I'd say this...just because its in VS2005, doesn't mean you necessarily
    should be using it.

    Esp the WSAT. That thing was a complete waste of time.
    And it didn't work on a remote setup, only a local web.config file if I
    recall correctly. Aka, the hobbyist.

    Find the scottgu link ... and work with it. He's forgotten more about
    asp.net then most of us will ever learn.

    sloan, Dec 17, 2007

  3. B. Chernick

    B. Chernick Guest

    Thanks! Couldn't find a scottgu link on that actual page but with a little
    searching... I assume you meant this:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/default.aspx

    Looks like I have a bit of reading to do....

    B. Chernick, Dec 17, 2007
  4. B. Chernick

    sloan Guest

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

    5th line of my blog entry has the link. (as seen above)

    sloan, Dec 17, 2007