BeforeUpdate to determine length of entry and allow or not the entry

Ohi

Reaction score
Hi,

Briefly what I'm trying to do is determine if the user entered correctly the Vin number for a vehicle and warn them if they have or have not.

I can go about it two ways.

#1: There's a field in my table that references vehicle type, I only need to match if the VIN is 17 characters long on VehTypeID 1, if it's anything else, it can be any amount of characters.

Or #2, and the way I'm trying to do it cause tbh I really don't know what I'm doing is see if the vin is <= 16 and tell them theres too few characters and give them a msg to continue if it's what they meant to do, and another for >=18 stating there's too many characters.

Here's the code I'm trying to work with, any help would be fantastic!

Code:
If Len([Vin] <= 16) Then Cancel = False
MsgBox "Your VIN number contains LESS than the standard 17 characters  for a Passenger Vehicle.  You may modify your entry or continue if it is  not a Passenger Vehicle."
ELSEIf Len([Vin] >= 18) Then Cancel = False
MsgBox "Your VIN number contains MORE than the standard 17 characters  for a Passenger Vehicle.  You may modify your entry or continue if it is  not a Passenger Vehicle."
ELSEIf Me.Vin.Value = DLookup("[Vin]", "tblVehicles", "[Vin] = '" & Me.Vin.Value & "'") Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "A duplicate VIN was found.  Check your entry and try again."
End If
End Sub

Last edited:

Ask a Question