BBC iPlayer TV License

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
An interesting point.

Loosely interpreted, my understanding has always been if you have a tuner capable of receiving TV signals in your home, be it a VCR, TV, PC TV card, whatever, then you need a licence.

I'd venture a guess that anything you view over the Internet does not require a TV licence, but keep quiet, if the BBC wake up to the fact, they'll probably get a law passed where anybody with Internet access needs a TV licence :eek:

Might just spark a revolution :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't actually find anything about needing a TV license to use it, but they do block outside the UK for this very fact (as it's license funded).

Interesting... :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Simple short answer ...

If the appliance is capable of receiving "live" broadcast TV, not just BBC, then you need a licence. :rolleyes:

You do not need a licence for prerecorded TV.

I watch lots of prerecorded TV. :nod:

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
:bow:

Long answer ...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Hey, I been fighting for 3 years with the TV licencing idiots ... I'm winning. :lol:

Reaction score
is it the same principle as sky plus; watching pre recorded television that you've already paid for through some kind of fee?

edit: sorry if it doesn't make sense, it seems overly complicated to me ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question