Basic Win XP codecs?

Sine Nomine

I want to give a video file to someone who has Win XP, but I can't rely
on him having any additional codecs, the latest version of WMP, etc.

What codecs can I use that can definitely be read in all Win XP versions
of WMP? Can I give him a VCD?

Test Man

Try Uncompressed AVI, filesize will be large but at least he'll be able to
read it whatever media player he has.

Don't bother with David Candy's URL, he obviously didn't read your question
properly.

Test Man

"I can't rely
on him having any additional codecs"

Maybe there's a reason? Maybe the person who is receiving it doesn't want
any more codecs on his machine for some reason? This is immaterial because
he asked "What codecs can I use that can definitely be read in all Win XP
versions of WMP? Can I give him a VCD?" so therefore, answering his question
with an answer about the codecs that will definitely work on all versions is
CLEARLY the correct answer to his question.

Moron.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
If you can send the file you can send the codecs with it moron.

Kamal

Uncompressed AVI will be huge. Roughly 4 minutes of Uncompressed AVI will be
1 gb.

Your best bet would be MPEG-1

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Uncompressed AVI is merely a stupid suggestion.

Trev

Test Man said:
"I can't rely
on him having any additional codecs"

Maybe there's a reason? Maybe the person who is receiving it doesn't want
any more codecs on his machine for some reason? This is immaterial
because he asked "What codecs can I use that can definitely be read in all
Win XP versions of WMP? Can I give him a VCD?" so therefore, answering his
question with an answer about the codecs that will definitely work on all
versions is CLEARLY the correct answer to his question.

Moron.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
If you can send the file you can send the codecs with it moron.
WMA or MPEG 1 will work MPEG 2 codec is a commercial one so if they dont
have it they would need to buy it.

Rehan

All Windows XP machines can play WMV7 and MPEG1 (VCD) formats: i.e. the
codec is pre-installed. So saving your video using that codec would allow it
to be run universally on XP machines.

To save movie in WMV7 format, use menu File -> "Save MOVIE As" or press key
Ctrl-P or use the "Save to my computer" under "Finish Movie" step on the
left hand task bar. In the Save Movie wizard, first screen allows you to
select a name for the saved movie and the next screen is "Movie Settings".
Click on "Show more options..." and you will have all the different options
to select. Select "Video for Pocket PC (full screen...)" from the drop down
box and complete the remaining steps.

But it would be easier to just provide the latest codecs pack with the CD as
suggested by David Candy.

Otherwise provide the "Media Player Classic" which is 1.4Mb single
executable file and runs most video formats out of the box.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

Another suggestion would be to provide the movie in multiple formats on the
same CD. but that may be over the top.